Hen eating her egg

Egg eating is usually a symptom of egg shell issues.

Up the calcium via oyster shell calcium. If that does not do it, get liquid calcium with Vitamin d. Dosage by weight will be on BYC. Look for it using search

Hens peck the egg to see if it is good. If it is not good, they will eat it. It is normal hen behavior

Egg eating can be from a dietary deficiency or from boredom. What are you feeding? Often when birds are fed a layer ration and than extra treats are fed than the daily protein requirements get diluted too much creating a protein deficiency. Sometimes they are after the eggshells so keep a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs.

Keep ceramic eggs in your nests to make pecking unsuccessful, and collect eggs often.

Another option is roll away nests.

Welcome to BYC!
:yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!
Maybe you should think about building a roll away nest box. From what I have seen it is hard to break this bad habit, good luck.
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP

Weak shells and in egg eating hens. What may start egg eating is the shells get weak due to low calcium, when a hen steps on the weak shell it breaks. Then to keep the nest clean the hen eats the egg. If it keeps happening the hen eventually gets to the liking of the eggs ending up with the nasty habit of egg eating. This is something that I think may sometimes start the egg eating problem. I don't think that that my theory has been proven.
Shiloh is my #1 egg eater. Isa Bro EE mix, mostly white with splashes of blue, very pretty hen. She likes to eat eggs for breakfast and now she hits her half sisters doing the same. When I give her lots of oyster shells mixed in the grain ( not separate ) she seems to slow down on the egg eating.
Oyster shell may help with your hens. I've heard of some people removing the membrane out off the shells, crushing them up, then feeding them back to their hens. I see it as the hens are still egg eating, but it may work.

Good luck with your Orps, I have one that is broody that I'm hoping to get her set up in some coop so she can hatch some chicks. If she hatched anything, it will be her 4th hatch. Her name is Joy.

Are the eggs thin shelled and thus easily broken?
Thin shells and egg eating are not always just about adding calcium,
they need other nutrients to absorb and apply that calcium.
Lack of protein can also cause egg eating.
Look at overall diet....too many treats maybe?

Back
Top Bottom