Hen exhibiting Marek's symptoms after being picked on...but she's vaccinated

babayagaeggs

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2021
(TLDR: I don't think it's Marek's because my hen is vaccinated, but why can't my chicken walk after she got picked on?)

Over a week ago, one of my larger hens started pecking on the smallest member of the flock. It was bad, and her scalp wound up bloody. There were no obvious wounds on the rest of her body.

I separated the small hen from the flock; first by keeping her in a barn, then in a fenced off area in the chicken run. When separated, she acted listless and scared and sitting in a corner every day, which I assumed was a residual effect of the bullying. She seemed to be moving slower as well.

Yesterday I applied Pick No More to her head and let her out among the flock in the hopes of reintegrating her and getting her to move around a bit more. I checked up on her every half hour and kept reapplying PNM. She mostly stayed sitting in one part of the run, but things seemed fine until later in the day, when I came out to find her back in a corner and unable to stand. She had a few peck marks – nothing like before, but she was clearly attacked again.

She's back in the barn, but her leg seems unable to move: She keeps it tucked under her, and the toes won't uncurl. This has been a gradual decline; it didn't just happen yesterday, but it's definitely at its worst today. I would normally assume that it's Marek's, BUT she's been vaccinated for it. It does resemble symptoms, though. Any thoughts as to what it might be instead, and what I can do to help her? TIA!

Attachments

• IMG-5345.jpg
    IMG-5345.jpg
    885.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-5346.jpg
    IMG-5346.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 7
She could have a head injury or injured her leg. It is hard to know the answer. When was she vaccinated for Mareks, and have you seen any birds with it in the past? The Mareks vaccine may not be 100% effective. It is possible that she was missed if it was given at the hatchery. How old is she? Can you place her inside a wire dog crate with food and water? Make sure that she eats and drinks several times a day, and can reach those. Chicken sling chairs can be used to get them up and in front of food and water. Here are some designs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

:welcome :welcome :welcome

Sadly, the vaccine only hides the symptoms, but doesn't prevent it, so I've heard. I learned the hard way. I accidentally got Marek's on my farm, and I only had three hens vaccinated against it. Well, Misty was one of those vaccinated hens and she got it the worst. She had a foot that was curled up like your hen's and stayed like that until she passed. I have also heard that the vaccinated chickens can be carriers of it. :(

Back
Top Bottom