Hen gasping for air

Pics

MGG

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Feb 7, 2020
Hi all,
my little brother's favorite Rhode Island Red started gasping yesterday apparently. She looks quite distressed and I'm not sure what to do for her. I couldn't see or feel anything caught in her throat or crop.
She's 1 and a half years old, and has been a good layer, she's still been laying an egg daily even through her molt. Up until the day before yesterday. Never gotten any wonky eggs from her either.
They're on nutrena layer pellets, but I do free range them and they pick through the dead garden consistently. Though I don't think they'd be finding anything bad in there really.
Any idea what might be wrong or what I should try to do? I have a number of medications and stuff on hand but I didn't think any of it would help. I gave her half of a tum yesterday because I thought she might be trying to pass an egg. Nothing today though.
She did have a weird poop yesterday, it was runny but looked eggy to me almost which is why I tried the tum.
I can post a video if necessary. Thanks!

Can you take a video of her?
I will see about getting them uploaded.
Took these pics while I was out there of a fresh poop and inside her mouth.
20231124_123230.jpg
20231124_123427.jpg

It looks kind of raw in there.
I thought about running one of my tube feeding tubes down her throat to see if I meet any resistance with it or get any mucous out on it.

Hello! Can you put your ear to her back and see if you hear crackling sounds? If you do, Can you put her inside with the humidifier running? I would also put eucalyptus essential oil on her bedding. Dose her with nutri drench every day, and feed her whatever she wants to eat.

Back
Top Bottom