Hen gasping for air

Did you check her entire body for them or just the vent? I ask because different lice like different parts of the body. And FWIW, I've never seen a sick bird that did not have some lice.
I just checked her over pretty carefully and didn't see anything at all. I'll check again in the morning when it's light out.
I gave her the dose of tylan just now too. She's acting worse and seems very stressed out.
It also looks like she's only pooped one time since around noon. I have her in a cardboard box in the garage and there's only one poop in it. It's a more solid looking poop, not really runny or anything.
She didn't want any of her food tonight either.

If she is a full-sized hen you should be able to tube that much. Start with 30 and see how full her crop feels.
I did 35 ml.
She hated every second of it and struggled like crazy. I had to re-run the tube down 4 times. Her crop did feel probably about halfway full, I think I could have gotten 60 in. I'm going to wait a bit though before trying more. She was pretty stressed out at the end.

I never knew how much easier ducks were to tube, lol.

Well she's doing much better.
20231127_213139.jpg
20231127_212941.jpg
20231127_212756.jpg
20231127_212805.jpg

She's eating and drinking on her own and not gasping really. She still sounds a bit hoarse when breathing though. I'm not sure if it was the tylan, baytril, or panacur, but something definitely helped. @casportpony should I keep giving her all three meds? And if so for how long?

Hi all,
my little brother's favorite Rhode Island Red started gasping yesterday apparently. She looks quite distressed and I'm not sure what to do for her. I couldn't see or feel anything caught in her throat or crop.
She's 1 and a half years old, and has been a good layer, she's still been laying an egg daily even through her molt. Up until the day before yesterday. Never gotten any wonky eggs from her either.
They're on nutrena layer pellets, but I do free range them and they pick through the dead garden consistently. Though I don't think they'd be finding anything bad in there really.
Any idea what might be wrong or what I should try to do? I have a number of medications and stuff on hand but I didn't think any of it would help. I gave her half of a tum yesterday because I thought she might be trying to pass an egg. Nothing today though.
She did have a weird poop yesterday, it was runny but looked eggy to me almost which is why I tried the tum.
I can post a video if necessary. Thanks!
The symptoms you describe are respiratory, possibly bacterial or viral. Are the chickens vaccinated. Azithromycin, or Baytril are good broad spectrum. Otherwise Trimethoprim Sulfa is good broad spectrum.

Hi all,
my little brother's favorite Rhode Island Red started gasping yesterday apparently. She looks quite distressed and I'm not sure what to do for her. I couldn't see or feel anything caught in her throat or crop.
She's 1 and a half years old, and has been a good layer, she's still been laying an egg daily even through her molt. Up until the day before yesterday. Never gotten any wonky eggs from her either.
They're on nutrena layer pellets, but I do free range them and they pick through the dead garden consistently. Though I don't think they'd be finding anything bad in there really.
Any idea what might be wrong or what I should try to do? I have a number of medications and stuff on hand but I didn't think any of it would help. I gave her half of a tum yesterday because I thought she might be trying to pass an egg. Nothing today though.
She did have a weird poop yesterday, it was runny but looked eggy to me almost which is why I tried the tum.
I can post a video if necessary. Thanks!
Well if you think the crop.
I've had flush my chicken crop with warm water before.
I did twice in a day and everything was fine. I'm not positive but think at time I wasn't offering oyster shells.
I just had my son hold her gently but we'll enough so wouldn't struggle, I had a syringe ( no needle, just plain syringe) with warm water and flushed 3x through the mouth. And did again later. Of course sanitize after, and might want to consider separating from others in case respiratory problem.

I had a beautiful rooster act like this once, it was during a very rainy season, come to find out We had an overpopulation of nats that year, and they will plug up their nostrils. Of course it happened over the weekend and I could not get access to a vet, nor would they probably come out for a chicken, sadly he died, but I’ve been told you can gently clean them out and they’ll be fine. I hope you figure it out.

Last edited:
I will see about getting them uploaded.
Took these pics while I was out there of a fresh poop and inside her mouth. View attachment 3690603View attachment 3690605
It looks kind of raw in there.
I thought about running one of my tube feeding tubes down her throat to see if I meet any resistance with it or get any mucous out on it.
My two hens got into a fight and locked beaks they both ended up with abcess I had to take out the hard puss and I put a Qtip with blue kote in it. Blue kote is gemtian violet. I used it as a child. Dr presscibed for a bunch of viral canker sores. It tasted awful but I lived to talk about it so my hens had the same treatment. They also got a round of antibiotics. If tpu dont have any injectionable then fish antibiotics in water I read works. I do not know the dosage please ask someone here.

Back
Top Bottom