Hen Getting Attacked Need Help ASAP

emma1234

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2020
My easter egger named Vera is continuously getting attacked. She’s at the bottom of the pecking order and recently we’ve been noticing a lot of feathers in the coop run. And even more in the coop. I am very worried. We let them out at least once a day for an hour and most days more. I added another waterer and feeder for during the day for her to eat and drink out of and a peck toy so that they will have something to do besides attack her. We also give them water melon, greens, or spegeti noodles daily. I am more worried about her at night because there are ALOT of her feathers in the coop. I don’t have another coop to keep her in for the night. Would it be unreasonable to keep her in the nesting box sectioned off from the two other hens and one rooster? Just for a couple nights. Also should I wrap a bandana around her to reduce feather loss? If you need any pictures of the coop or her or anything else to have a better understanding let me know.

I do not have much experience with this, but I have read that hens that are injured by others isolating may be a good idea. In general giving her something extra will help.

How much room do they have? Don't give them spaghetti so often, it's not great for them. What feed do they eat? Is she molting? Do you only have 3 hens and a roo or are there others
The coop run is about 10 by 6 square feet. The feed they eat is layer mash I belive. No she’s not molting. She also seems like she is more skittish around them. And yes 3 hens and one roo all the same age and have all grown up together.

The coop run is about 10 by 6 square feet. The feed they eat is layer mash I belive. No she’s not molting. She also seems like she is more skittish around them. And yes 3 hens and one roo all the same age and have all grown up together.
I messed up on the coop measurements it’s actually a 12 by 4 coop. However, most days free range is an option all day until it gets dark.

12 x 4 is a good size, they might not have enough protein, you need to feed all flock/flock raiser or chick feed since roosters shouldn't have layer feed anyway. Where is she loosing feathers? If it's her back, she might be the roosters favorite and getting overbred, It's best to have at least 8 hens per roo, ideally.
Have you witnessed any attacking?

12 x 4 is a good size, they might not have enough protein, you need to feed all flock/flock raiser or chick feed since roosters shouldn't have layer feed anyway. Where is she loosing feathers? If it's her back, she might be the roosters favorite and getting overbred, It's best to have at least 8 hens per roo, ideally.
She is loosing feathers on her neck a lot and her tail a
She mostly looses feathers on her neck and on her tail. I’m mostly worried about her neck though. I haven’t witnessed any attacking besides like little nips here and there but the amount of feathers loss and how she seems to be scared of them it appears that she is being attacked. As well as others in my family saying they’ve seen her get attacked. My family says they mostly see her getting attacked by the hens and not so much the rooster unless he’s trying to breed.

She is loosing feathers on her neck a lot and her tail a

She mostly looses feathers on her neck and on her tail. I’m mostly worried about her neck though. I haven’t witnessed any attacking besides like little nips here and there but the amount of feathers loss and how she seems to be scared of them it appears that she is being attacked. As well as others in my family saying they’ve seen her get attacked. My family says they mostly see her getting attacked by the hens and not so much the rooster unless he’s trying to breed.
Hmm. She could be molting then, I'd get higher protein feed. An attack that would make that much feathers, you would hear.

My easter egger named Vera is continuously getting attacked. She’s at the bottom of the pecking order and recently we’ve been noticing a lot of feathers in the coop run. And even more in the coop. I am very worried. We let them out at least once a day for an hour and most days more. I added another waterer and feeder for during the day for her to eat and drink out of and a peck toy so that they will have something to do besides attack her. We also give them water melon, greens, or spegeti noodles daily. I am more worried about her at night because there are ALOT of her feathers in the coop. I don’t have another coop to keep her in for the night. Would it be unreasonable to keep her in the nesting box sectioned off from the two other hens and one rooster? Just for a couple nights. Also should I wrap a bandana around her to reduce feather loss? If you need any pictures of the coop or her or anything else to have a better understanding let me know.
Rehome her.
If you isolate her because she’s getting attacked now, how do you think it’s gonna be when you reintroduce her?
There’s not much of a solution here.

Back
Top Bottom