Hen got off her eggs

shellyrose

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 3, 2011
Hi, I had a hen who has been sitting on 11 eggs for 2 weeks. She just got off an hour or so ago and the eggs pretty much went cold. So I candled them and only three looked to have chicks in them. I have put them under another hen who just went broody the other day. Just wondering if anyone knows how much it will affect them to have been cooled down so much, will they still hatch? Also will it be OK to have the three eggs I put under hatch so much sooner than the rest?
Any info would be greatly appreciated:)

I had a hen locked off her nest accidently for about 4 hours, eggs went cold and they all still hatched perfectly healthy little chicks. I think putting them under another hen with eggs at a different stage of development may cause a few problems though as she might get off the others when these hatch, or she will keep sitting waiting for the others to hatch and not tend to the hatched chicks. But I could be wrong, I'm sure someone else could offer more advice.

Yeah, I'm thinking now I may have jumped the gun... She's back sitting now. I think the other hen is only sitting on 1 egg, which makes me feel slightly better. I took all the ones I found (under the house) the other day, as there was some really rotten ones.She decided the next day to move further under and stick tight. Hopefully, if she gets off I will have another hen I can put it under, I really want some Wyandotte chicks this year.... Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom