Hen had half eaten mouse in beak that died of Rat Poison-**UPDATE**

Quote:
Are you sure One Bite will not harm a bird if one eats a mouse? I worry about this and never put poison out in my coop, plus, I also have barn cats.

Quote:
Are you sure One Bite will not harm a bird if one eats a mouse? I worry about this and never put poison out in my coop, plus, I also have barn cats.

On the label it says it may cause secondary death........

Quote:
Tom Cat Ultra Block - it's green and is supposed to be waterproof.

I still dont think I would put this stuff directly in my coop. I am too much of a worrier for that. A local expterminater company told me that they use baits that will not cause seccondary poisoning/death. But that's more of an investment. I guess if I had an infestation of mice I would use a professional company. I installed glue pads in my bulkhead doorway instead of the bait. My father said he never had success with the glue before:/ We'll see??

Last edited:
try normal traps baited with peanut butter and salami/stinky meat:)
i'm not a big fan of poison use.. even if your chicken ate the mouse and doesn't die then it still gets transferred to the eggs (like when a chicken eats onions and their eggs are gross) then you are pretty much eating rat poison..
my neighbor uses rat poison and i hope none of the mice that eat it come over here:( i have a barn cat and chickens

Quote:

The active poison agent in Just One Bite is an anticoagulant, best you read the Material Safety Data Sheet on the active ingredient in Just One Bite.

Quote:
You should always assume that secondary poisoning is possible. My neighbor used bait in her yard after checking with the manufacturer that told her it's impossible for her dogs to get secondary poisoning. Her Corgi ate a gopher who had eaten the bait and you guessed it...dead. I would give the chicken a vitamin K shot and supportive care.

I contacted the company that makes the bait. I asked about secondary poisoning , explaining my situation and the type of pets I have. This was their response:

"Secondary poisoning with anticoagulant baits, like Tomcat, is possiblebut it is extremely unlikely primarily because of the size difference, but also especially in domestic situations because it would require far more rodents ingested than a domestic animal would reasonably eat.

Lets look at the dog first:

Lets say your dog is 65lb, this translates to approximately 10.1 oz (290g) of bait needing to be directly consumed (not secondary) for any possible effects.

A mouse may eat about 2 - 3 grams of bait in a day, and thus may have that amount in its gut. There can be some accumulation of the poison in the organs prior to death but total bait consumption rarely exceeds 5 grams.

Now, assuming that your dog, at 65 lbs., ate the entire mouse (which we know is unlikely), it would take 58 mice to reach a lowest toxicity level (290g bait needed divided by 5g per mouse). Is this possible? Yes. Is it probable? Of course not. If my dog were eating that many dead mice I would be far more concerned about disease or parasites from the mice than from the bait.

Similarly with cats; your cats would need to eat a dozen or more mice that had just eaten the bait and essentially eat the bait that is actually still in the mice to even reach a lowest level of possible toxicity.

And with chickens we are still looking at dozen or more mice needing to be consumed."

I am sooooo relieved!! And I am very thankful that the company reterned my email, very kind in deed! Thanks to everyone on BYC who talked me through this drama
smile.png
I too am very grateful for your answer! Whew!!

Back
Top Bottom