Hen has no balance

Vbell

Hatching
Feb 4, 2015
Hi, I have 15 hens of all varieties in my back garden. Before Christmas the youngest hen approx 3 to 4 months (the other hens are all 6 mths plus) lost weight and began to loose balance falling forward all the time until she basically went off her feet, she still was a good feeder and took water and her comb was nice and red. I thought she had worms so treated the full flock with de wormer and also give the flock a few days dose of Tylenol 200 as one hen had a slight cough.
The hen has now got some strength can walk slowly and balance although not great is a lot better than it was.
My problem is I went to the coop this morning and another hen who was the largest in the coop a big copper Maran is starting to display the same symptoms? Neither of the birds can fly up onto the roost bar approx 24 inches from ground. Like the first hen the maran seems front heavy and keep toppling forward? Poos and everything seem fine. I will try to video it so you can see.
Would anyone have ideas on what could be the issue as I'm at a loss.
Would I have a disease in the coop?
Thanks

Welcome to BYC. Were your hens vaccinated for Mareks disease? Mareks can be one cause of balance issues and lameness, but just being weak from a respiratory illness, or any other infection or even worms can make them weak and stumble. Tylan is very good for respiratory diseases to treat symptoms, but many respiratory diseases are chronic, and though symptoms may diminish, the disease doesn't go away (especially MG, coryza, and ILT.) Mareks can also decrease immunity to respiratory and other diseases, since the chickens will have a low white blood cell count. What dewormer did you use? I like Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer. Here is a good link on respiratory diseases, and another on Mareks disease:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Hi flock master thanks for your reply. Can I add a video so you can see the issue?

Sorry meant eggcessive
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom