hen with balance issues

chickenmamafl

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2023
hey everyone,
i have a little hen who went broody last week. (i tried several methods throughout the week to break the broodiness) so now i’m trying the put them in a little cage away from the nest box trick… all that to say: she seems to be having balance issues on and off? she can stand up fine and walk fine sometimes but other times she stumbles and falls over? and at times staggers around like she’s drunk…?
this is my first broody hen experience and idk if that is normal or what.
thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7328.jpeg
    IMG_7328.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
She could have something neurological going on, or have a deficiency.
What's her diet? When did she start acting like that?
I would get some B Complex and Vitamin E 400IU, and give 1/2 of a B Complex tablet and one Vitamin E daily, for a couple weeks or so and see how she does. Also give her eggs, raw or cooked, to help her more easily absorb the Vitamin E.

I would get some B Complex and Vitamin E 400IU, and give 1/2 of a B Complex tablet and one Vitamin E daily, for a couple weeks or so and see how she does. Also give her eggs, raw or cooked, to help her more easily absorb the Vitamin E.
i feed them all all-flock… she started doing this a couple days ago i thought maybe something was wrong with her from being broody and not eating and drinking her usual amount… do i just give her human vitamins and crush them up?

also her poop and everything looks normal.. her balance is just weird. when she poops she leans all the way back so far she looks like she might fall over.
and she will scurry away and it seems like she gets going and can’t stop and falls to one side.

are you sure she's broody? sometimes a hen sits in a nest box because they feel unwell rather than they're going broody.

Edited to add: what you describe may also be a result of her eating something toxic, or having an infection in her inner ear that upsets her balance.

i feed them all all-flock… she started doing this a couple days ago i thought maybe something was wrong with her from being broody and not eating and drinking her usual amount… do i just give her human vitamins and crush them up?
Yes, human vitamins. No need to crush them up though, just pop them right into her beak and she'll swallow them.

are you sure she's broody? sometimes a hen sits in a nest box because they feel unwell rather than they're going broody.

Edited to add: what you describe may also be a result of her eating something toxic, or having an infection in her inner ear that upsets her balance.
i’m pretty sure she was broody. we had some fake eggs in the nest box because we just built the nest box onto the coop and we wanted them to lay there instead of the ground. so after a week or 10 days of using the box and collecting the real eggs she started sitting on and being very protective of the fake egg. so i assumed she was broody.

i’m pretty sure she was broody. we had some fake eggs in the nest box because we just built the nest box onto the coop and we wanted them to lay there instead of the ground. so after a week or 10 days of using the box and collecting the real eggs she started sitting on and being very protective of the fake egg. so i assumed she was broody.
Hi I have a hen with the same issue, what was the outcome for your chicken ? T thanks

Back
Top Bottom