Can’t stay balanced/falling over

Nanadd

Chirping
Dec 25, 2022
I have an Americauna. Not sure her age but she is done laying so my best guess is over 3 or 4 years old. Out of nowhere yesterday she started limpin. After a couple hours it progressed to stumbling and losing balance. Like she is drunk. She loses her balance walking and sometimes just standing. She will start wobbling and at times fall dow. We checked her feet, she has a small cut on her left foot we cleaned up. We cut her toenails. She doesn’t have mites. I looked and her ears seems fine. She is eating and drinking normal. I noticed a watery poop yesterday. Haven’t seen her poop yet today ( does mean she hasn’t I just have been able to observe her til now). All my other hens are normal. I started giving her a b complex vitamin yesterday. Added rooster boost crumble pellets to her food and electrolytes in the water Any ideas what it may be? I’m not sure if she was ever vaccinated for Mareks as she came from someone who didn’t want her anymore. I’m trying to post video but am hav trouble figuring that out. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I can’t get the video to show up. Have you added any new chickens to your flock in recent months? It is rare for an older chicken to suddenly have symptoms of Mareks, unless they have been exposed to a carrier chicken. Do you have any pictures of her? Has she lost weight, or does she have any swelling in her lower abdomen between the legs? Is her crop emptying by early morning? Is she eating and drinking? It is hard to know what caused this, but something (tumor, lash egg material, infection) could be pushing against her sciatic nerves, affecting her legs. The B complex vitamins could be helpful.

I have an Americauna. Not sure her age but she is done laying so my best guess is over 3 or 4 years old. Out of nowhere yesterday she started limpin. After a couple hours it progressed to stumbling and losing balance. Like she is drunk. She loses her balance walking and sometimes just standing. She will start wobbling and at times fall dow. We checked her feet, she has a small cut on her left foot we cleaned up. We cut her toenails. She doesn’t have mites. I looked and her ears seems fine. She is eating and drinking normal. I noticed a watery poop yesterday. Haven’t seen her poop yet today ( does mean she hasn’t I just have been able to observe her til now). All my other hens are normal. I started giving her a b complex vitamin yesterday. Added rooster boost crumble pellets to her food and electrolytes in the water Any ideas what it may be? I’m not sure if she was ever vaccinated for Mareks as she came from someone who didn’t want her anymore. I’m trying to post video but am hav trouble figuring that out. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I can’t get the video to show up. Have you added any new chickens to your flock in recent months? It is rare for an older chicken to suddenly have symptoms of Mareks, unless they have been exposed to a carrier chicken. Do you have any pictures of her? Has she lost weight, or does she have any swelling in her lower abdomen between the legs? Is her crop emptying by early morning? Is she eating and drinking? It is hard to know what caused this, but something (tumor, lash egg material, infection) could be pushing against her sciatic nerves, affecting her legs. The B complex vitamins could be helpful.
I uploaded the video to YouTube here’s the Link hopefully it works

She’s been with these same chickens over a year now. Eating and drinking well. Crop is ok. Belly feels normal. She’s never laid an egg for me I think she’s too old and done laying. She hasn’t lost weight. I’m stumped 🤔

I just wanted to update yo. This morning I dropper fed her 2.5ml of poultry cell. She was still wobbly when I put her down but she went right over and ate and drank. I came out a few hours later t give her a b complex vitamin and she was standing upright and no longer stumbling. I’m going to keep giving her the poultry cell for the next few days. Do you think that will be enough or should I keep it up for longer? Thank you for your help. :thumbsup

The B complex can be given indefinitely, but Poultry Cell should be given for 5 days or less due to a possibility of diarrhea. It is great that she was not stumbling this afternoon. I had a hen who did this for over a month, and I had to feed her twice a day in a nest on the floor. We never knew the cause, but she began walking again.

The B complex can be given indefinitely, but Poultry Cell should be given for 5 days or less due to a possibility of diarrhea. It is great that she was not stumbling this afternoon. I had a hen who did this for over a month, and I had to feed her twice a day in a nest on the floor. We never knew the cause, but she began walking again.
Thank you. I will do that with with vitamin’s and poultry cell. I appreciate the help. I’m glad your hen got better! :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom