Hen has poor comb color and unkempt feathers

captainmorgan85

Chirping
5 Years
May 8, 2017
North Carolina
One of my hens started having poor color in her comb and wattle (or whatever it's called) not too long ago, and I've noticed her feathers look unkempt as well. The other hens don't seem to bother her, and they let her eat just fine. They are livestock, not pets, so I don't handle them typically and she did seem have plenty of "fight" when I picked her up for the picture.

Any idea what this is or what to do about it? In the attached photo her comb looks OK without having something to compare it to, but the other hens have MUCH brighter color. Her's looks almost white next the theirs.

Attachments

• sick_chicken_12-26-178.jpg
    sick_chicken_12-26-178.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 45
has she stopped laying it looks like she is molting i have two hens that are molting when a hen is molting her feathers fall off and she looks like a purkupine look up molting or ask some more people on this web site good luck

I agree that it's probably because of molt, you can see pin feathers coming in. They often will look pale, and sometimes can just generally look 'off', or stay more to themselves. It can be uncomfortable for them. If there are not any other symptoms I would put it down to molt. If you are feeding layer feed you can switch to a higher protein feed, grower or flock raiser, that is 18-20% protein and that can help with growing new feathers. Make sure to offer oyster shell free choice all the time in another feeder as the non-layer feeds will not have enough for the hens that are still laying. Those that need it will take what they need. Many people with mixed age flocks, or with roosters, feed that way all the time as the non-laying birds don't need the extra calcium in the layer feed.

Poor girl let her molt as you cannot stop it allot of us have very few eggs right now because many are molting she is fine maybe some yogurt, warm oatmeal, mealworms

I agree with the others—she looks to be molting. She should look better in a month or so, and later begin laying eggs again. You can offer her some chopped egg for some extra protein.

Good! I was afraid something was wrong. When I was a kid my family had a handful of bantams, but I didn't remember about the molting. My hens are less than a year old so I'm still learning their various cycles.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom