Hen has swollen purple wattles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by achickymama, Sep 6, 2013.

1. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh good! I think I speak for all of us when saying we are concerned and puzzled.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good luck at the vet! It's nice that you're able to do that for her!

-Kathy

3. achickymama

achickymama Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Alaska
    Sooo, turns out it was frostbite! It hasn't been getting much below 50 here but their coop was a bit on the dirty side because we had been out of town. I guess there was just too much moisture between that, the rain and the dropping temperatures. The vet gave me silver sulfadiazine to apply twice a day.

4. achickymama

May 24, 2013
    Alaska
    Well Kathy , these girls a like our babies[​IMG]. I'm glad it wasn't something more serious. My poor kiddos would have been devastated if we lost her.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  5. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    I am so glad that you found out what it is and that you can treat it. Yay!!!!!!!!!

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Frostbite was what kept coming up in my mind and all the searching, but I wouldn't have thought it possible with those temps. I'm glad you went to the vet.

7. achickymama

May 24, 2013
    Alaska
    Crazy, right!? We're in Alaska so if they're already experiencing that, its gonna be a long winter!
    [​IMG]

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You may need to read up on ventilation in your coop. There are a ton of threads here--make sure you read Pat and chickens big ole ventilation page thread--she lives in Canada and has many tips. The worst thing about winter is the moisture in the coop, not so much the temp. Moisture and open pan water bowls can cause frostbite. Feet can be frozen quickly if they step into water bowls in the cold temps you all get.

9. achickymama

May 24, 2013
    Alaska
    [​IMG]

24 hours later! She's looking red and heathy again!

Anyone know how long it typically takes for frostbit pieces to fall off?

10. achickymama

May 24, 2013
    Alaska

I'm on it! Thanks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by