Hen has swollen purple wattles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by achickymama, Sep 6, 2013.

1. achickymama

achickymama Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Alaska
    I've been searching and I keep coming back to frostbite or fowl cholera but I understand that's very rare. And since its summer and hasn't been below 50 degrees, frostbite is out.

She seems fine, still eating, drinking, foraging, poo looks normal, not wheezing, no discharge anywhere.
    [​IMG]
    I'm freaking out over this, it's our first sick girl!

2. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Is it possible that she got it caught on/ in something? Bruising?? I have now idea, just a thought.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. MelissaTXRn

Jun 3, 2013
    Another thing to check is if it will rub off. I read on here that someone thought their chicken had favus and it turned out to that the hen had got into something that rubbed right off.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is exactly right. If it goes through to the inside it may be something else. Pictures help, but it is hard to actually see what's going on to give advice.

1 person likes this.
  6. achickymama

May 24, 2013
    Alaska
    No, they are huge and swollen and the purple discoloration looks like dark blood inside

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have no idea what it might be. If she were mine I would weigh her on my kitchen scale and I wouldn't worry unless she started to lose weight or show signs of illness.

-Kathy

8. MelissaTXRn

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh, I missed the swelling part. That poor baby(and you). I hope she is better soon.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. achickymama

May 24, 2013
    Alaska
    Yea, her all over symptoms don't fit with anything I've found because she really seems to be fine (no discharge, wheezing, nada) but when I just checked on her again, her wattles are hot feeling and are a little crusty looking on the inside area. I'm bringing her to the vet at 2pm. I'll let you all know what I find out.

Thank you for being so helpful :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by