Hen has swollen purple wattles

achickymama

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 24, 2013
Alaska
I've been searching and I keep coming back to frostbite or fowl cholera but I understand that's very rare. And since its summer and hasn't been below 50 degrees, frostbite is out.

She seems fine, still eating, drinking, foraging, poo looks normal, not wheezing, no discharge anywhere.

I'm freaking out over this, it's our first sick girl!

Is it possible that she got it caught on/ in something? Bruising?? I have now idea, just a thought.

Another thing to check is if it will rub off. I read on here that someone thought their chicken had favus and it turned out to that the hen had got into something that rubbed right off.

Another thing to check is if it will rub off. I read on here that someone thought their chicken had favus and it turned out to that the hen had got into something that rubbed right off.

This is exactly right. If it goes through to the inside it may be something else. Pictures help, but it is hard to actually see what's going on to give advice.

I have no idea what it might be. If she were mine I would weigh her on my kitchen scale and I wouldn't worry unless she started to lose weight or show signs of illness.

-Kathy

Yea, her all over symptoms don't fit with anything I've found because she really seems to be fine (no discharge, wheezing, nada) but when I just checked on her again, her wattles are hot feeling and are a little crusty looking on the inside area. I'm bringing her to the vet at 2pm. I'll let you all know what I find out.

Thank you for being so helpful :)

Back
Top Bottom