Hen Has Trouble Sitting; Panting if sits (pain?)

MrSoCal

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 13, 2008
West Hollywood, CA
Please let me know if there is a possible reason why she has trouble sitting and is panting.

I am following the question guidelines in the Sticky...
1) What type of bird, age and weight?
RIR. About 2 years, 6.5lb

2) What is the behavior, exactly?
When she sits, she pants heavily, facing the sky. Abdominal is no longer swollen (after per visit). It is now late at night as she is standing on roosting pole. She may be experiencing pain when she sits.

Also, feather puffed but it may be due to weather. It has been in the 60-70 range today (vs 10 or more degrees higher), and she may be cold.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
2 weeks ago had trouble sitting, then got better after visit to vet. Today she stopped eating again and has trouble sitting.

Vet visit May 18th (7 days ago), said she had inflammation near vent area, which is the reason hen was
* standing doing nothing,
* standing while roosting (sleeping)
* legs red, probably because of pressure on body from standing all day
* not eating (other than treats)
* breathing heavier than normal (but not panting), especially when sitting
* Abdominal puffed up
* running poop

Molting slightly, the reason for no eggs for a few weeks (didn't feel an egg, said not egg bound). This is possible because I cleaned up the coop about two months ago and her feathers are everywhere. (There is one other hen, different color.)

Checked the mouth for worms; none at the time

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma?
No.

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation?
I tried twice to inject the vet's Baytril+B12 today, and she moved both times and I barely got anything in. This is the 6th shot. The 5th she also moved. I don't want to try it again (vet said to each day, switch sides of injection so it doesn't shock her; will get antibiotics from feed store tomorrow as it may have stressed her.

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Yes, only treats.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny, for the last few weeks up until last night. This afternoon, after she became less active/prefers to stay in a corner, poop is watery again. It is like she turned back on a dime.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Calcium in water and food. When she wasn't eating at all I hid calcium inside the treats.

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Prefer to do it myself. Vet is 75 minute drive each way; double with L.A. traffic

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I will try to have pics later on, but it may be internal.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Roosting while inside the coop and free ranging the rest of the day. Roosting requires hens to jump 3 feet, two levels (3 feet * 2), to reach roosting poles. I used to have steps but they knocked it so I took it away. Will get stronger steps. On most days, I lift them up/down to roost.

Any help will be much appreciated. She is a very good hen to me my neighbors and everyone in between. I had her since she was a few days old. I would hate to lose her.

Last edited:
Making noise (snoring or has water) while breathing. Shakes and I am not sure whether it is because she is cold (it is 60 degrees now) or she is in shock. She pooped overnight and seems to have lost weight as well. Anyway have an idea on what may be wrong? I believe she was standing on the entire night.

Edit: when talking, she makes noise like someone talking with water in mouth. When she shook her head water came out of mouth.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom