Hen hasn't layed in 3 days

take the food away and in the morning feel of it if its hard or is still pretty full then its impacted. You can give then some olive oil (some people put it on a little peice of bread) and then massage the crop downward to help move the food out of the crop.

I had a hen that exhibited the same symptoms. I ended up taking her in for a couple days, that is up to you (minor issues reintegrating). I put her in a dimly lit room and I gave her Pedialite which really helped her to perk up the next day. I gave her a little yogurt mixed with olive oil too. I think it might have been a stomach issue with mine. A little TLC and she was right as rain. I had another who was exhibiting the same symptoms but no where near as bad. Left her alone, just monitored, and she was fine.

As for a sour or impacted crop...the first sign is they will have pukey smelling breath and you won't miss it if they do. Just pick her up and take a whiff near her head, if she has it you'll know. Post if she has bad breath.

P.S. Does she have any discharge from her nostrils or eyes?

Last edited:
Quote:
Just an impacted crop will not have bad odor only Sour crop has foul odor. You can get sour crop from one being impacted but it doesnt start out with odor.

Her crop was empty this morning, so it's not impacted crop. I gave her another warm bath last night and kept her inside on a heating pad. She was pretty thirsty and hungry this morning and appears to be in good spirits, but she is still just laying down. At what point should I "go in" and see if there is an egg stuck inside?

Back
Top Bottom