Hen Having Seizures, Please help

Farm life101

Songster
Jan 9, 2018
Florida
Hello fellow chicken lovers!
Unfortunately one of my younger hens is not doing to well. Today was the second time i have seen her having a seizure or at least what i believe is a seizure. She is a purebred Americana (excuse my spelling there if its wrong lol) but she was hatched from my hens and has been been raised here so she hasn't had any vaccines. The flock also has been dewormed in a few months which i should probably do. She is in a flock of 22 chickens including her, there is only one rooster and 21 hens. We also have 2 ducks but there are completely separate. The chickens get put up into a 10x20 coop at night and free range in our backyard that is about half an acre during the day. Both times she had a seizure it was when she was in or near a nesting box which another chicken was in. i wasn't paying attention much as I'm usually either feeding them or I'm collecting eggs when iv seen this. the first time i just saw her stiff, her eyes were slightly re active and she was breathing but was almost upside down. Today i didn't see what happened but she was on her side when i saw her. then a chicken started pecking her so i pulled her away thinking she might have died but then she started trembling like a seizure, she was down for about 5 or 10 minutes but was only shaking for about 20-30 seconds. when i say down i mean not really moving and was on her side most of the time then she sat up laying down for a while until she finally got up and started freaking out which she is normally a calm chicken, she even screeched when i grabbed her to put her in the coop (i moved her out while i was setting up a cage for her so the other girls wouldn't attack her. She is currently in a large dog kennel in the coop with food and water of course as i was worried if it happened again the other hens would peck her. I'm not sure how often this happens but I've seen it twice now.
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Americana, 7 months & one day, probably around 6lbs, seems just like the other hen her age
2) What is the behavior, exactly. seizures but besides that completely normal and friendly
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? i want to stay a week, maybe two
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? nope
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. nope
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. no clue
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Her normal feed along with what she gets free ranging and well water
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. i will know if the morning :)
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? just separation
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? i wont be able to get to the vet until maybe next month as my parents wont pay for it so i would prefer if i could treat it myself (or manage)
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use i use normal pine wood shavings from tractor supply and i have added some hay in the nesting boxes two days ago as its getting colder
Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

This has come up before, a chicken having seizures. Sometimes it's due to cardio/pulmonary issues that are congenital. Not much can be done about a heart that isn't working properly.

However, sometimes a chicken will suffer from low electrolytes. This can affect the brain since it operates mostly on glucose and sometimes the heart because electrolytes can sometimes help restore proper function.

Something that can treat both cardio issues (a long shot, to be sure) and low glucose is simple sugar water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. It's easy to mix up, and the chicken often drinks it eagerly. The brain can benefit from the sugar and the heart may be encouraged by the electrolytes to function more efficiently.

Caution: this is not something you want to use as a daily thing as it can upset body chemistry over a long period.

This has come up before, a chicken having seizures. Sometimes it's due to cardio/pulmonary issues that are congenital. Not much can be done about a heart that isn't working properly.

However, sometimes a chicken will suffer from low electrolytes. This can affect the brain since it operates mostly on glucose and sometimes the heart because electrolytes can sometimes help restore proper function.

Something that can treat both cardio issues (a long shot, to be sure) and low glucose is simple sugar water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. It's easy to mix up, and the chicken often drinks it eagerly. The brain can benefit from the sugar and the heart may be encouraged by the electrolytes to function more efficiently.

Caution: this is not something you want to use as a daily thing as it can upset body chemistry over a long period.
Okay, I will give that a try. Thank you! Should I also give her save a chick electrolytes or just the water mixture?

Save a Chick probably has everything in it she needs, but read the ingredients to be sure it contains sugar. It won't hurt to add a bit more sugar if you wish. It's the glucose that directly feeds the brain and it could calm the seizures.

Save a Chick probably has everything in it she needs, but read the ingredients to be sure it contains sugar. It won't hurt to add a bit more sugar if you wish. It's the glucose that directly feeds the brain and it could calm the seizures.
Okay I will get those now then, thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom