Hen holds her head to the side, and is have trouble with her balance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kimmy, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    NW Oregon
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Cochin, 2-3 years old, I think she's lost 1-2 lbs
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    I've noticed, that she isolates herself from the rest of the flock. She tends to stay in the coop during the day, at night she will sit/sleep on the floor, which is odd because the other chickens sleep on the perches. For the past week she's unable to hold her head straight, so she's holding her head to the side Tonight I observed her walking, she had a hard time keeping her balance so she sat down.
    I had to bathe her this past week due to having mites.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    2 weeks
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    no
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    unknown
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Eating: very little, to my knowledge she's drinking water
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Unknown
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    none
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I will treat her at home.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    n/a
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    She lives in our coop, bedding is wood shavings ( that you'd purchase at the feedstore)

Thank you for your time!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by