1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen House design Help hints Please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by muttley, Oct 22, 2008.

1. muttley

muttley New Egg

Oct 20, 2008
    Cheshire. uk
    Hi, [​IMG]
    are there any woodworkers out there who can give me some building Tips hints Ect ?
    I will be building using reclaimed Timber, probably pallets. The house will need to be big enough for 3/4 hens.
    What dimensions are required? per bird is fine, such as floor area, height, perching space, Nesting boxs, etc. Many Thanks.

My ChickCam online. http://craig.selfip.org (user name)craig (p\\w)craig

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hello and good morning from here in the good 'ole USA! [​IMG] My DH and I built my coops out of pallet lumber and it worked great! Have you looked at the "Coop Designs" page to get some ideas yet? If not, please do! There are tons and tons of ideas along with measurements listed there. You will find ideas on coops ranging from small to large. The coop design section is all the way at the top of the page. Good luck! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] !!!

3. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I keep large fowl breeds and allow 4 sq ft per bird inside the coop and 20 sq ft per bird in the run, 10-12" perching space per bird, and one nest box for every 3 birds.

HTH

[​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

a cheap hand held metal detector will keep ya swas sharp, and predrill your nail holes, because most pallets are made from hardwood, and to get a nail through means you'll ruin a dozen or so for EACH place you want to nail.

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    A 4 foot by 4 foot coop (120cm x 120cm) would be a good size for 3 to 4 hens. It isn't necessary that it be tall enuf for you to walk into. Doors on opposite sides, could give you enuf access even if it is only 3 or 4 feet in height.

That size may also work well if you can find 4 foot pallets.

Welcome to BYC!!

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by