1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen in nestbox

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by armdchicken, Jan 8, 2012.

1. armdchicken

armdchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    So i have a buff leghorn who instead of roosting on the roost with the other chickens she sleeps in the nestbox unless i put her on the roost. any ideas why she would sleep in the nestbox? any help would be appreciated

2. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    anyone?

3. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    Is she at the bottom of the pecking order? Is she broody possibly? Does she have any foot or leg issues that would make it painful to roost?
    Dale-Ann

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Ditto the other questions asked. Also, is she laying already or at POL? Could she be practicing laying and you just caught her? My EE just started laying over New Years and she would get in the nest box and hang out for hours the couple of days before actually laying the egg. Then once she laid an egg she would hang out for hours in the box after I had snatched away the egg. However, she still got out and went up on the roost at night.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    If she wants to go broody, she'll hang out in the next box after dark. When they go in serious broody mode they look at you like this:

[​IMG]

Meanwhile this gal wants me to get the camera out of her face so she can get back to work:

[​IMG]

6. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

7. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    i have a couple girls that do it once in a while, never thought it was a big deal

8. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Are your nest boxes higher up than your roost? That would make them want to sleep in there. Mine only sleep in the nest box when they are broody.

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I have an EE, Flo, who simply can't cope with the nightly, roosting pecking and irritability of her perch mates. She just says, the heck with it, and gets into a nest box. I refuse to let any hen sleep in a nest box, so Flo gets evicted.

It helps to figure out which hens will leave the alienated one alone, and perch her next to this one. I also try to situate Flo at the end so she has less exposure to confrontation.

Also, a little detail such as positioning your combative ones on the perch head to tail, opposed to head to head, will alleviate a lot of the bickering.

I know this is way more refereeing and micro-managing than most people are willing to devote to roosting chickens, but some of us are willing to put forth the effort, nonetheless.

10. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    Quote:No shes not broody, last year my wyandotte, Bullhead, went broody. She was on the bottom of the pecking order when we had 3 chickens, her another hen and my rooster, mainly because our rooster picked a favorite hen. Our next boxes are kinda hard to get to, just because you have to go down under hay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by