Hen in trouble I think.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueDevilGirl67, Aug 30, 2007.

1. BlueDevilGirl67

BlueDevilGirl67 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2007
    Central NC
    My RIR has a droopy comb and is breathing hard. It has been in the mid 90's this week. I took her out of the coop to keep the other hens from killing her. I gave her an antibiotic in water and put her in an old Doggloo to keep her safe at night. I let her out yesterday and she seemed to walk around ok and pecked at he ground some. She ate some scatch but none of the pellets that we normally feed them. Anybody with any ideas. BTW I am new to the board but have owned Chickens and ducks for a few years now.

2. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    Heat!Its a killa!Just keep trying to get here to drink some gatoraide or something with electrolytes in it.Put a fan next to her during the day.Good luck.:|

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it is hot I bet she had heat stroke. Do NOT feed any scratch to the birds as it is a hot food and can lead to the heat stroke. Only give cold fruits and the regular layer pellets. As for the antibiotics, take that out now. It can only lead to more problems if you randomly give them antibiotics because it will cause stronger more dangerous bacteria to form. Do give them electrolytes and that should be good. Good luck.

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by