Hen is broody on 9 eggs, what's your latest hatch/broody ever?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by secuono, Oct 13, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Yep, y'all said no, I said maybe and she say's yes. No idea if any eggs at all are fertile or will even hatch, but she doesn't care and I don't mind. I don't get how such big eggs come from such tiny birds...lol. Anyway, just wanted to gloat and all that, lol.
    I'm thinking a week and a half to two weeks left.

Also, when is the latest time in the year you guys have had a hen go broody and/or hatched? I thought August was late, seems like it can get even later than October...wow.

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    yeah, my latest was early August. I have a girl who went broody the past 2 May's and this year her sister surprised me in August.

3. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I also have chicks due to hatch under a broody in a couple of weeks.

I have a pic somewhere of some newly hatched chicks running around and there was patchy snow in the run. It was late Feb or early March.

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Our local fair is always late October-early November. I had a hen with baby chicks there two years ago.

5. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    They are subject to set and hatch year round. I have had them hatch in all types of cold,wet and snow. I will say that they hatch better in cold weather if the hen has a very good nest with plenty of straw. One thing you need to watch is that the mother may go to roost before the babies are big enough to fly up with her and they will freeze. So what I do is raise my winter babies in pens with no roost so the mother has to stay on the ground with them.

6. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Have a broody right now w/eggs set to hatch in less than a week. Her sister just hatched 3 littles 3 days ago. November/Thanksgiving has been my latest.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My broody hatched out 8 chicks 3 weeks ago. She's a fantastic momma. She had a great hatch rate: I set 9 eggs, she kicked out 1 that was infertile and hatched all 8!

8. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    my silkie just hatched 7 out of 11. mine go broody 365 days a year. every time i turn around another one is setting, and her sisters are trying to help. drives me crazy. i have three silkie hens in broody jail now. one is still mad the other two might go back to rest of the flock today

9. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    aww, glad my hen's not the only one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by