HEN IS KILLING CHICKS!!!!! HELP ME

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fussy8, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    OK so I had 9 eggs under my broody hen and 3 were killed. So I moved her to the garage in a dog kennel and monitored her from there. Saturday a chick hatched but was formed wrong (organs were falling out it's vent). She ate what came out of the chick that was left behind (is that normal?). Today I went out to look for some babies (I check every hour or so so if she is killing them I can take them) and there was a shell but no baby or body. I looked around the garage and found nothing.... I'm thinking she is killing them and I don't know what to do! Can I take them at this age and put them in an incubator? Please help me! They should be hatching soon and I don't want to lose anymore!!!!! [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they were mine, I would put the eggs in an incubator and never used this hen as a broody again. Good luck.

3. Fussy8

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    Thats what I was thinking but can I put them in there at this age? They should be hatching within the next 3 days or so

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I would move them sooner than later and I agree never use her again. Good luck.

5. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    You really have nothing to lose. If you move them (and I hope nothing bad happens) maybe it won't work, but if you leave them she's going to kill them. Moving them is the best option.

6. Fussy8

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by