Hen is repetitively egg bound - having trouble laying

Rachelleigh24

Hatching
Aug 4, 2020
I have hen over a year old that started laying in January. We’ve had no problems until last week she was egg bound, fluffed up, appeared to be in labor trying to push the egg out, standing to herself and not being active. She did lay it right before dark after I put her in a warm water bath. The egg appeared normal. She has done this 3 more times over the past week. I have not given her any more baths. I have put oyster shells in the run for her. I had not changed her diet. What would cause this? How to you prevent it from happening?

What are you feeding? Get some human calcium with vitamin D, and give her one now orally. That can help with muscle contractions to lay. Also get her drinking water. I would feed her layer feed and have crushed oyster shell available in a separate container than feed in case she needs more calcium.

What are you feeding? Get some human calcium with vitamin D, and give her one now orally. That can help with muscle contractions to lay. Also get her drinking water. I would feed her layer feed and have crushed oyster shell available in a separate container than feed in case she needs more calcium.
I’m feeding Dumor 16% Layer Pellets

Back
Top Bottom