Hen is wheezing and rattling, small black scab in throat. Fowl pox or something else?

I've never seen TSC show availability of the fish antibiotic online. Sometimes they have it in the store/sometimes not, but not online.

https://fishmoxfishflex.com/collections/amoxicillin-fish-antibiotics
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Ah okay. My dad's coworker is also big into chickens and I guess he was explaining my situation to her, and she actually has an antibiotic from a vet for respiratory issues that she is kind enough to give me. What it is exactly I don't know, she is supposed to go get it during her lunch break and bring it to my dad, so my dad doesn't know what it is either right now. Hopefully it's something that will help her, but if not I'll check tractor supply in person. If tractor supply doesn't have it I'll order it online. Thank you for those links. This stuff is new to me so I wasn't sure where to order it exactly and what was and wasn't the same stuff.

Oh thank you!! That saved me a lot of math. Since I'm only going to treat 1 chicken, I will do 1/4 of a teaspoon per 5 cups. I'll separate her since her eggs can't be consumed so I'm not wasting the other hen's eggs.

Today when I let her out she didn't wheeze or open mouth breathe at all. Though I did hear some gurgling when she made a noise while running. I will check her out tonight to see how she sounds, if she sounds the same as last night or better. Maybe she's getting better on her own. Since it's so late I'll start the treatment tomorrow. This will also give me a chance to see if she's improving on her own. I don't want to medicate her if I don't have to

Oh thank you!! That saved me a lot of math. Since I'm only going to treat 1 chicken, I will do 1/4 of a teaspoon per 5 cups. I'll separate her since her eggs can't be consumed so I'm not wasting the other hen's eggs.

Today when I let her out she didn't wheeze or open mouth breathe at all. Though I did hear some gurgling when she made a noise while running. I will check her out tonight to see how she sounds, if she sounds the same as last night or better. Maybe she's getting better on her own. Since it's so late I'll start the treatment tomorrow. This will also give me a chance to see if she's improving on her own. I don't want to medicate her if I don't have to
How did you arrive at 1/4tsp per 5 cups of water?

Quick update on my girl. Her breathing is completely back to normal! I didn't give her any of that medication, she got over it by herself. I wonder what caused it?

I checked her mouth and throat again and that black thing is still there. Still have no idea what it is. I'll give it a few days and check it again. It's just weird that it hasn't gotten swallowed. You'd think it'd get washed down with food or water. Hm.

Wyorp Rock, I want to thank you for your help and expertise! I don't know what BYC would do without educators like you! Thank you!

Quick update on my girl. Her breathing is completely back to normal! I didn't give her any of that medication, she got over it by herself. I wonder what caused it?

I checked her mouth and throat again and that black thing is still there. Still have no idea what it is. I'll give it a few days and check it again. It's just weird that it hasn't gotten swallowed. You'd think it'd get washed down with food or water. Hm.

Wyorp Rock, I want to thank you for your help and expertise! I don't know what BYC would do without educators like you! Thank you!
Oh Good! I'm glad she's doing much better.
I would like to know what that black thing is too. I wonder if it's just coloring and she's always had that? If you ever get a good look and figure it out, then let me know.

You're welcome!

Oh Good! I'm glad she's doing much better.
I would like to know what that black thing is too. I wonder if it's just coloring and she's always had that? If you ever get a good look and figure it out, then let me know.

You're welcome!
I'll definitely let you know. I don't think it's coloration since it freely moved locations in the mouth each time I looked. Tonight it was on the bottom. I'll try to the figure it out!

Back
Top Bottom