Hen jumping on my back. Is this normal?

SilkieChickii

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2021
I have a Speckled Sussex hen that likes to jump onto (and sometimes sit on) my back. Is this normal and should I keep letter her do it? I think of it as a way to bond.. but sometimes she does it when I don't expect!

I have a Speckled Sussex hen that likes to jump onto (and sometimes sit on) my back. Is this normal and should I keep letter her do it? I think of it as a way to bond.. but sometimes she does it when I don't expect!
I have a young pullet who does this. I encourage it. Its a wonderful relationship that you have. I've had 3 different flocks and it's the head of the flock who has always done this to me. Congrats.

My thinking, strictly as an amateur observer of bird behavior: do birds (hens) jump on each other, and if so, in what context/ circumstances? Do they do it to show affection, or to show dominance? In my observation, dominant hens do it, not submissive ones, and they do it to show dominance, not affection. When one bird gets jumped on, she shrieks, ducks and tries to escape, complaining and objecting loudly. So I don't think I would encourage it. But that's just my opinion.

Call me crazy, but I love it when/if my chickens jump on me. I like for them to think of me as safe and part of the flock. It’s up to you.
I can't agree more. There are people who have chickens for the eggs but I have them as pets with eggs as a benefit. But unlike some chicken enthusiast I do not have my chickens come inside my home. I do believe it's better to have them poop outside. Not judging, just my preference.

When one of my hens jump on the back of another, which is rarely, they will also pull at their head because it's for dominance and flock order. When my youngest pullet has jumped on my back, she just wants me to hold her. She is lowest in the flock. She doesn't bite me like they would for a show of dominance. Again, every one is different as far as what is acceptable and what they dislike with behaviors from their flock.

Back
Top Bottom