Hen just started laying...now acting ravenous?

Lucretia

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 16, 2009
DFW area
Well, one of my girls, the White Leghorn, just started laying eggs over the weekend! Yay!!! Anyway, today I noticed she seems to be acting really really hungry, like running around the run picking at anything resembling food, devouring grass from my hand, etc. She's the only one doing that. I haven't had a chance to get to the feedstore for some layer pellets -- could that be the problem? Maybe the chick start just doesn't have what she needs? They get plenty of scraps throughout the day plus their chick start, and scratch and oats for snacks. There's no way she could be that hungry, right? Is this something I should be worried about? She also hasn't laid her egg yet today, I don't think. ...
hmm.png

Any thoughts?

I've had birds come out after their first egg and go after the oyster shell.
At laying age you should switch to layer and provide oyster shell in a separate container. Treats, for the most part, detract from the complete nutrition provided by the age appropriate feed.

If you have extra grower you don't have younger birds to feed you can still give it to the layers as long as you provide oyster shell or some other source of calcium.

What are you feeding your chickens because sometimes they can not get all of their nutrients from chick starter? Laying pellets are designed for laying birds to make sure they can get all the nutrients they need.

Last edited:
Your feed (That you should never run out of) needs to be 16 to 22% protine. And yes on the cals. An egg a day is taxing. Alot of her goes into each one, and to be hungry is quit the norm. Good for her. And you did good to ask your question to these folk. Ya won't go wrong.

Thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to the feed store tomorrow to get the layer feed. They always have food available, but that makes a lot of sense about the calories and the extra protein. Kinda like being pregnant, I guess!
wink.png
I just gave her a cooked egg with boiled, crushed eggshell mixed in, and she seemed to really enjoy that.

Last time I checked at the feedstore they didn't have oyster shell, but I'm going hunting for some...

Thanks again!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom