Hen Keeps Making Jerking Movements

Mochi_AtMaui

In the Brooder
May 7, 2023
My 5 1/2 y/o ameraucana keeps making these gag like jerking movements. shes been doing this since late yesterday. I think it could be sour or compacted crop so ive been giving her crop massages and limiting her food intake. If that isnt the problem, what can i do??

heres a video of what she is doing:

Last edited:
She seems to be adjusting her crop. Feel her crop and see if it's hard or doughy. Did you notice if it was empty this morning? If not, check it in the morning before she eats and make sure it's emptying overnight. Does she have access to grit? What do you feed her?
There are many more experienced than I on here that will have better advice than I.

@azygous @nuthatched @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

She seems to be adjusting her crop. Feel her crop and see if it's hard or doughy. Did you notice if it was empty this morning? If not, check it in the morning before she eats and make sure it's emptying overnight. Does she have access to grit? What do you feed her?
There are many more experienced than I on here that will have better advice than I.

@azygous @nuthatched @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
the crop wasnt empty this morning. It feels fairly normal though, not too hard or soft. her breath smells terrible though. all the chickens are free ranged 24/7 so theyre not provided any grit, assuming they get enough naturally through the dirt and rocks they scratch up. i feed them fairly basic chicken scratch crumbles.

Your hen probably has a combination of impacted crop and sour crop. It needs to be treated as soon as possible. Reading this will help you understand what's going on and how to go about treating your hen. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ I recommend treating the impaction first. You'll need to spend a solid day treating the impacted crop for treatment for the yeast infection to start to do any good.

No need to limit food. Your hen likely has no appetite, anyway. But do provide plenty of fresh clean water as she is likely trying to drink a lot. About the only foods you want to restrict are things high in sugar like fruits. Also, there is no need to segregate the hen.

the crop wasnt empty this morning. It feels fairly normal though, not too hard or soft. her breath smells terrible though. all the chickens are free ranged 24/7 so theyre not provided any grit, assuming they get enough naturally through the dirt and rocks they scratch up. i feed them fairly basic chicken scratch crumbles.
The terrible breath makes me think sourcrop. Here's a good article from azygous I recommend you read to help determine what you are dealing with.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If the crop is not emptying in the morning and her breath smells terrible, likely it's Sour Crop you're dealing with. The article below will tell you how to access and treat.

Do be sure to look inside the beak for any signs of Canker, white or yellow pasty material, if there is, then you will need to treat differently.

I would recommend that you provide them with Poultry Grit (Crushed Granite) free choice, just scatter some in their run or provide it in a separate dish. While they may find suitable grit in the yard or in soil, purchased Grit lasts a long time and will help ensure they have what they need.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I would recommend that you provide them with Poultry Grit (Crushed Granite) free choice, just scatter some in their run or provide it in a separate dish. While they may find suitable grit in the yard or in soil, purchased Grit lasts a long time and will help ensure they have what they need.

I 2nd that! I'm not sure where you're located, but here we got a lot of snow pack & the ground got pretty frozen making it harder for them to get to natural grit. It's economical & a great investment to keep their crops functioning well.

I 2nd that! I'm not sure where you're located, but here we got a lot of snow pack & the ground got pretty frozen making it harder for them to get to natural grit. It's economical & a great investment to keep their crops functioning well.
im on maui, in hawaii

Your hen probably has a combination of impacted crop and sour crop. It needs to be treated as soon as possible. Reading this will help you understand what's going on and how to go about treating your hen. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/ I recommend treating the impaction first. You'll need to spend a solid day treating the impacted crop for treatment for the yeast infection to start to do any good.

No need to limit food. Your hen likely has no appetite, anyway. But do provide plenty of fresh clean water as she is likely trying to drink a lot. About the only foods you want to restrict are things high in sugar like fruits. Also, there is no need to segregate the hen.
thank you for the help!

she still has a bit of an appetite and good energy. ill make sure to work on clearing the impaction. thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom