Hen keeps sitting down //Help//

Pics
The hen whom I started this thread for is looking extremely pale. It isn't like that temporary paleness when they aren't active much, but more like a constant light pink color. She is much more paler in person.

She had lice before but I gave her a permethrin bath and couldn't find any on her today. She is also acting a bit dull and is getting bullied a lot. I have to put their feed in 3 separate places, but she still doesn't eat from them and roams around away from the main flock. She usually stays in the roosting area even during the day.

Her abdomen is rock hard. I don't believe she has given an egg for over a week...

Her dropping is also completely watery. She has had diarrhea for a long time. Her vent feathers started detoriating cause of the droppings. Her vent feathers are growing back, and the area isn't red as before.

She is eating fine tho.
I’m not sure what to suggest.

Extremely firm
If it feels like a very full water balloon it is probably filled with fluid. Since she hasn't laid in over a week I would guess and say she may have Egg Yolk Peritonitis, although there are other possible causes of her abdomen being filled with fluid. Does she appear to waddle like a penguin when trying to walk?

Since she is sitting down a lot the ascites fluid could also be caused by a heart problem - I believe I went through this once with one of my chickens a few years ago, although it was never diagnosed.

The "scream" isn't anything you need to worry about. It is simply a very vocal hen who doesn't mind annoying everyone in the vicinity of her voice. I know a few people like that.

The comb usually goes pale during molt. It flops over, too. But a very light shade that is like that of stale meat, is more indicative of a bacterial infection. Pairing that with her chronic diarrhea, I would suggest an oral antibiotic if you can get one.

If it feels like a very full water balloon it is probably filled with fluid. Since she hasn't laid in over a week I would guess and say she may have Egg Yolk Peritonitis, although there are other possible causes of her abdomen being filled with fluid. Does she appear to waddle like a penguin when trying to walk?

Since she is sitting down a lot the ascites fluid could also be caused by a heart problem - I believe I went through this once with one of my chickens a few years ago, although it was never diagnosed.
She isn't sitting down anymore. I believe her walking got better with the little removal of bumblefoot. And her waddle is not like that of a penguin. I also believe that she has egg yolk peritonitis so I gave her and the rest of the flock anti biotics against it. Her droppings are watery last I checked. Shall I deworm her and the rest? It has been 9 months last I gave them Albendazole.

I also believe I lost a hen because of ascites. All the sypmtoms were the same and we eveb extracted a little water but the fluid was too thick to take out through a syringe.

The "scream" isn't anything you need to worry about. It is simply a very vocal hen who doesn't mind annoying everyone in the vicinity of her voice. I know a few people like that.

The comb usually goes pale during molt. It flops over, too. But a very light shade that is like that of stale meat, is more indicative of a bacterial infection. Pairing that with her chronic diarrhea, I would suggest an oral antibiotic if you can get one.
Her comb has been floppy since she started growing it. I gave them antibiotics just a couple of weeks ago, that is, when i started this thread.

Shall I administer a different antibiotic and give it specifically to her?

EYP is often not treatable. The fluid you tried to extract was possibly from the EYP and not ascites. Even vets have a difficult time adequately draining EYP fluid. Ascites fluid is an amber fluid, very watery.

Both conditions are inevitably fatal. But hens can live a long time with them. As long a she's vocal, and she does seem very vocal, she's feeling fine. It's when a vocal hen goes mute that she's very sick and near the end.

She isn't sitting down anymore. I believe her walking got better with the little removal of bumblefoot. And her waddle is not like that of a penguin. I also believe that she has egg yolk peritonitis so I gave her and the rest of the flock anti biotics against it. Her droppings are watery last I checked. Shall I deworm her and the rest? It has been 9 months last I gave them Albendazole.

I also believe I lost a hen because of ascites. All the sypmtoms were the same and we eveb extracted a little water but the fluid was too thick to take out through a syringe.
I’m very sorry to hear that. :hugs I’m glad she’s walking better though!

Back
Top Bottom