Annieschic

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2019
Two weeks ago my hen was climbing up a rocky part of the coop when a rooster got hold of her. To put it blunt, he jumped on her, mated and off he went. She didn't stand up straigt away, so he took a second go at her. She closed her eyes and shook her head, didnt stand up so mister went for a third time. By that time I threw him with something cause I could see the hen was not well. When she eventually stood up she was off balance and in a daze. I took her into the house overnight. The next day she was not eating and still in a daze. So I took her to the vet. She could not find any fault.
Long story short, my hen couldn't walk after that episode. If I lift her, I had to keep my hand under the front part of her body otherwise she fell forward. After two weeks I had to kill her cause she were paralysed. I took her body to the vet again and we found that her breastbone was broken, solidly off, about one centimeter spacing. The alignment of the bone was crooked and all her front intestines was pushed to the back part of her body while some broken ribs proded into her liver and other intestines. She must have been in so much pain and would have died of pain according to the doctor.
I am putting this on the forum as I was looking here for answers when it happened and nobody could help. She looked healthy, had a red red comb, ate etc but could not use her legs.

That rooster wasn't very kind to his lady and I'm sorry that this happened to you. Hopefully he doesn't cause more issues to your flock.

What kind of rooster is he and is he still young?

I'm sorry for your loss.

That rooster wasn't very kind to his lady and I'm sorry that this happened to you. Hopefully he doesn't cause more issues to your flock.

What kind of rooster is he and is he still young?

I'm sorry for your loss.
Hi, thx :).
I don't really know the different types but he is short legged and still a teenager, just found a new hobby....

Back
Top Bottom