Hen laying at night in run

Wkhan_1991

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2021
Hi
Wonder if some one could help please.
Last night i left my hen coop open at night having forgot to close it (hen and run are fully predator proof) having returned at 1:00am in the morning i noticed a hen was in the run and had laid an egg suprisingly the egg was slightly broken but was very brittle and light in colour any reasons why this had happened. My other hen was sat in her coop on the perch

Thanks

A likely scenario is that the hen had trouble passing this egg, perhaps struggling with it for hours, was uncomfortable and left the coop. Walking around likely helped dislodge the egg and it was deposited in the run. Such eggs are often left in a run or dropped from a perch at night since they feel "different" than a normal egg coming down.

The hen needs a little calcium therapy to get her back on track and improve her shell quality so she doesn't end up eggbound. Give one tablet of calcium citrate once a day directly into her beak until her eggs are coming regularly and with good shells.

This is what you want. It's stronger than oyster shell or other forms of calcium and is very good for hens in a reproductive crisis.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

A likely scenario is that the hen had trouble passing this egg, perhaps struggling with it for hours, was uncomfortable and left the coop. Walking around likely helped dislodge the egg and it was deposited in the run. Such eggs are often left in a run or dropped from a perch at night since they feel "different" than a normal egg coming down.

The hen needs a little calcium therapy to get her back on track and improve her shell quality so she doesn't end up eggbound. Give one tablet of calcium citrate once a day directly into her beak until her eggs are coming regularly and with good shells.

This is what you want. It's stronger than oyster shell or other forms of calcium and is very good for hens in a reproductive crisis. View attachment 2620710

This is what you want. It's stronger than oyster shell or other forms of calcium and is very good for hens in a reproductive crisis. View attachment 2620710

Hi
Thanks for the information now it all makes sense. All my hens are laying strong shelled eggs but have noticed this hens eggs are slightly brittle a little on the wonky side and are very pale in colour. They have acces to oyster shell but still the same. Thank you soo much will be buying a bottle many thanks
👍😊

Back
Top Bottom