Hen laying double yolk eggs on a regular basis... should I worry?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hipeatall, Mar 12, 2011.

1. hipeatall

hipeatall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    One of my sweet young hens (hatched Sept 2010) is laying a double yolk egg 2-3 times a week and this has been going on for a few weeks now. One of her eggs was actually a triple yolk... that one freaked me out a bit!
    Sure it's kindof neat to get these big eggs and all... but honestly I'm concerned about the hen. She seems completely happy and healthy... but, I can't get over thinking this can't be good for her. So I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences like this... or any suggestions on how I can maybe help her lay normal single regular sized eggs. I worry.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I wouldn't worry about it right now. She is just hasn't gotten the plumbing figured out yet.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The only thing I'd worry about is how I want to cook up all of those double yolkers [​IMG] Give that little pullet some nice treats and a cuddle [​IMG] Her body will do what her body is capable of doing - don't worry.

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    It won't harm the chicken but it will mean that she will have less eggs to lay in her life so, eventually, she'll run dry. However, there isn't much you can do about it, it is a thing she and her body will have to sort out.

5. hipeatall

hipeatall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies... I will try not to worry [​IMG]

6. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    We always felt charmed when we got double yokers. [​IMG]

7. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I had some double and triple yolkers when my hens first started laying last fall. They took a break from laying for a while, but in the last few weeks have started laying regularly again, and so far I haven't found any more double or triple yolk eggs. So it is something that will rectify itself, most likely.

8. fiona450

fiona450 New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    I have the same with a young one of mine, she's been laying for about 6 months and continues to produce the double yolks. When she started, every single one was a double for many weeks! Even now, she will lay one relatively normal sized egg, followed by a really large one that is almost always a double. With the egg she layed this morning you can actually see a ridge right around the middle of the egg where it looks like two joined together!

I find it fascinating but like you, I'm a bit concerned because I've also lost two chooks recently to prolapses which I think might have been caused by overly large eggs.

9. MilitaryMa

MilitaryMa New Egg

Jun 3, 2012
    I have six RIRs and two of them consistently lay 1-2 double yolkers a week. Weirdly they seem to lay them on the same day every time (a female cycle in synch?) They are perfectly healthy and the only problem is everyone in my family fights to eat them. I wouldn't worry unless your chicken shows signs of illness.

10. postman44

postman44 New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    I, too, have 6 RIR's and they are about 5 months old. Just started getting one to two eggs a day. Every other day one of the eggs is a double yolker. Hens seems to be very happy roaming around the garden and I am very happy eating the double yolkers as they taste very good fried with a fresh sliced tomato. I'm hoping they keep giving us the doubles as everyone we give eggs to thinks they are awesome !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by