Hen laying double yolk eggs on a regular basis... should I worry?

hipeatall

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
One of my sweet young hens (hatched Sept 2010) is laying a double yolk egg 2-3 times a week and this has been going on for a few weeks now. One of her eggs was actually a triple yolk... that one freaked me out a bit!
Sure it's kindof neat to get these big eggs and all... but honestly I'm concerned about the hen. She seems completely happy and healthy... but, I can't get over thinking this can't be good for her. So I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences like this... or any suggestions on how I can maybe help her lay normal single regular sized eggs. I worry.

The only thing I'd worry about is how I want to cook up all of those double yolkers
droolin.gif
Give that little pullet some nice treats and a cuddle
smile.png
Her body will do what her body is capable of doing - don't worry.

It won't harm the chicken but it will mean that she will have less eggs to lay in her life so, eventually, she'll run dry. However, there isn't much you can do about it, it is a thing she and her body will have to sort out.

I had some double and triple yolkers when my hens first started laying last fall. They took a break from laying for a while, but in the last few weeks have started laying regularly again, and so far I haven't found any more double or triple yolk eggs. So it is something that will rectify itself, most likely.

I have the same with a young one of mine, she's been laying for about 6 months and continues to produce the double yolks. When she started, every single one was a double for many weeks! Even now, she will lay one relatively normal sized egg, followed by a really large one that is almost always a double. With the egg she layed this morning you can actually see a ridge right around the middle of the egg where it looks like two joined together!

I find it fascinating but like you, I'm a bit concerned because I've also lost two chooks recently to prolapses which I think might have been caused by overly large eggs.

I have six RIRs and two of them consistently lay 1-2 double yolkers a week. Weirdly they seem to lay them on the same day every time (a female cycle in synch?) They are perfectly healthy and the only problem is everyone in my family fights to eat them. I wouldn't worry unless your chicken shows signs of illness.

I, too, have 6 RIR's and they are about 5 months old. Just started getting one to two eggs a day. Every other day one of the eggs is a double yolker. Hens seems to be very happy roaming around the garden and I am very happy eating the double yolkers as they taste very good fried with a fresh sliced tomato. I'm hoping they keep giving us the doubles as everyone we give eggs to thinks they are awesome !!

Back
Top Bottom