Hen laying down

worshiphim61

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 4, 2018
I found lice on my hens, I cleaned the house, sprayed it, put D.Earth mixed in with the chips.
I dusted the hens with garden safe Permethrin powder, gave them garlic from a bottle of cut up garlic
for 4 days. Everything seemed fine for a few days, then she started fluffing her feathers, got slower,
started laying down for 3 days. I have taken food and water, she has accepted a little, but not much.
The lice are gone, sacs are still there, it is time to re-dust for it has been 10 days, I am afraid too because of her being sick.
Now another hen is fluffing her feathers too.
My hen is 5 years old. Please give advice....

You're assuming the hen's lethargic behavior is related to the lice and permethrin dusting, although she may have had a reaction to too much garlic depending on how much you've been giving her.

What is your location? Current weather? When was the last time she laid an egg? Any issues with egg shell quality? What else has the hen been eating? Does she free range and does she have access to any compost?

Thanks for writing back. We are a little cold and rainy, I am in Virginia, we have been in the 60's day/40 nights. She eats high protein chicken feed for winter, I give worms and have been giving solder larvae from Walmart to give extra protein/bugs. They are sorta free range, a pen that is 25'x45'. I read that garlic helped get rid of bugs. So I took out the minced garlic in olive oil from the grocery store and put out a couple of squirts, maybe a tablespoon for them all. I have 9 hens. But she is still here, I am surprised, I have hand fed her, she is very thin, compared to her fat self she was......
Maybe worms too????
She has pooped yellow and green. What do I do, I have had hens for 5 years. Never one so sick. We moved 2 months ago from a smaller pen that squirrels were eating their food,
now we don't have them, I quess that is where we got the lice from...

My hen is still sick, another is sick too. They are separated from the others, I have given them worm meds for 2 days and still laying down. Gave them some antibiotics, still nothing. Went to Amazon for Corid, they are out for one more week, I don't think my hens will last that long. Any suggestions to use something else?

Help emergency.....

This has nothing to do with your hens behavior but I only wanted to suggest not using DE. It doesn’t do anything to help a hen, and may even do the opposite. Not really worth the money.

My hen is still sick, another is sick too. They are separated from the others, I have given them worm meds for 2 days and still laying down. Gave them some antibiotics, still nothing. Went to Amazon for Corid, they are out for one more week, I don't think my hens will last that long. Any suggestions to use something else?

Help emergency.....

Back
Top Bottom