Hen laying on side, very bright red comb..??*UPDATE* post 6

petchickenlover

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
When I went out to check on the chickens this evening, honestly i thought she was dead. She was laying on her side, head tucked in.. i'm not quite sure whats going on here. Her mouth is also gaping open every once in awhile, as if gasping for breath?? Her comb is also a very unnormal BRIGHT red, and she seems to weigh a ton...

Hopefully i'm not rambling, but what does this sound like to you?? I was kind of thinking seizure, but i'm just not sure. She's 4-5 years old.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is it hot where you are? She could have gotten over heated? Listen to her lungs, any wheezing or noise?

Not hot at all, it's been in the 30s/40s lately. If i recall there was a bit of "wheezing" sounds.. it's dark now and I don't want to go bother her.. I thought it kind of looked like a seizure, or maybe shock?? quite odd,really.

Thanks for the replies... This is a pretty average temperature for this time of year.

This morning, i went out expecting to find her dead. I'm happy to tell you i found just the opposite! She was actually up and even got out of the coop on her own.

However, she appears to be not seeing well. Tripping over things, turning her head way around to get a good view of things, etc. I walked up to her and she walked away, like she didn't exactly know what she was running from. I also offered her some food, but i'm not sure she saw it.

Any ideas?? Her comb is back to normal and other than not being able to see well, her symptoms seem to have disappeared..

Back
Top Bottom