Hen laying on the coop floor

Lovesumchicks

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
Okay so I have 5 hens and a rooster in a new coop we built.
It has 6 nesting boxes and a roosting bar. They sleep in both at night. I recently put a fake egg in the nesting box to entice them to lay.
My hen started laying eggs 3 day's ago, but nesting in the corner on the floor. First day I ruffled up her hole and put a bucket there. But next two days she even made a nest under the hanging feeder. What to do to make her lay in the nesting box.

Sadly, you cannot "make" a chicken lay anywhere. How big is the box? How high is it off the floor, and how do they get to it? What bedding is in it? Is it darkened and out of the way, or in a bright, high-activity area?

Photos of your nesting set up would help.

You can try to "force" a bird to use a box but it takes good timing and spare time on your hands. If you can figure out the bird's laying schedule and catch her just as she heads in to lay, you can physically put her in the box and then block it off so she'll stay in there to lay. Box can either be built with some sort of locking cover to keep the bird in, or I do it manually by putting the bird in the box, and then using my arms to block it in. Once I see the bird start exploring the box in consideration of laying, I pull my arms away and if the bird stays even after she's no longer blocked in, I leave her to it. Had to train 2 of my pullets from previous batch this way.

Back
Top Bottom