HEN laying STRIPED eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by friend of chickens, Mar 3, 2011.

1. friend of chickens

friend of chickens In the Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Is there anyone else who has had this experience? My Marans Cuivre is laying striped eggs. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are very rough-- the dark brown/red stripes are raised and bumpy (as if it is texture sprayed on). I think it looks really neat--in my opinion they resemble the planet Jupiter...I'm sure this has got to be rare--I've never seen anything like it when searching the "odd egg" pictures on the web. I have a couple of these in my incubator right now. Just thought I'd post this here to see if anyone else has had this experience....

2. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Songster

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    That's pretty cool. It's like she was spinning in circles when it was being made!!

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, I've seen some very fascinating eggs laid by Marans and Olive Eggers (Wynette has the COOLEST olive eggs at times) - Never gotten any myself though. [​IMG]

That is very neat!

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    that looks like blood, a hens very first egg looks like that

5. friend of chickens

Dec 14, 2009
    It is not blood. She had laid about 7 of these. She started laying in mid Feb and her first was yolkless. She has laid 3 that were shelless and a number of them break upon laying--(it seems that that last coat of color adds to the strength of the shell-- and hers don't get much of that last layer). The dark brown/red is very rough--like I said. It is not blood. It feels like drywall spray texture.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Not blood. It's the sprayed on coloring. In fact, if you touch a Marans egg just as it is or after it came out, you can get that coloring on your fingers.

7. friend of chickens

Dec 14, 2009
    So, have you seen stripes before? And who is Wynette?

8. FeatheredFeline

FeatheredFeline Chirping

Mar 2, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    That a very cool egg. I've never heard of that before! (but then again I know next to nothing about chickens:p)

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I was going to say it looks like Jupiter, too!!!!

10. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Songster

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Wow! I wonder if that's how eggs are made, by turning slowly in that direction until they have a shell... or something. I WANT STRIPED EGGS D:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: