Hen leg problem

ourblessednest

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Louisville, KY
My RIR are 6 weeks old and just went to the big girl coop this week. I think I have 2 hens out of 6 RIR. Within 2 days, one of them had her leg turn completely outward and she limps badly on it. It does look as if the tendon is out of the groove, but I can't get it to budge. Then 2 days later, my other hen is doing the same thing. Is there anything I can do? I've tried splinting, but I can't turn the leg inward enough without basically wrapping the entire chicken in kerlix and tape. Any advice would be helpful. The ones I think are roos are fine, as are my 2 BO chicks. These are the only chicks I have. I'm feeding Purina Start & Grow. They are bedded on straw in their coop. They have been jumping up and down from the nest boxes, and eating and drinking.

Thanks so much!

Edited to add that the affected joint seems swollen and warm, though not so much today as when they were first discovered. I got some Poly-Vi-Sol drops and started those today on all of them, 3 drops in the beak.

Any other advice?

A picture might help someone come up with an answer. It seems strange that you have 2 hens with the same symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom