Hen lethargic & not active! still eating and drinking help!

Dom95

Chirping
Mar 7, 2021
HELP!!
My hen today/ last night started acting weird. She usually argues over a spot on the roost before bed with our one other girl but didn’t last night which was good but unusual itself.
Then this morning has been sluggish and walking low to the ground. We were worried she was egg bound because yesterday she was running around screaming and it had been two days since she laid. Then this after noon she laid but still has the same symptoms.
It has been in the 80s-95s as far as temp goes so we kept her inside but the symptoms still persist.

They were treated for cocci a couple weeks ago so weren’t sure if that was a problem.

symptoms:
-Lethargic/stays still or falls asleep standing up
-lumps down in the shade or hiding spots
-small dots of blood in mucus/ watery poop
-Ate food this morning and had squishy crop
-crown and waddle are normal color
-drinking a ton of water still and we’ve been feeding her probiotics and vitamins/ mash too

She’s also a 1 year old Mottled Houdan hen

Someone please help were really worried about our hen but have no idea what’s going on!

Attachments

• 1C2CE8EF-D4BA-4B0F-A99F-E6D3BFAC6413.jpeg
    1C2CE8EF-D4BA-4B0F-A99F-E6D3BFAC6413.jpeg
    547.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 4D4F57A3-D406-42BA-A0BE-E690C4A3D374.jpeg
    4D4F57A3-D406-42BA-A0BE-E690C4A3D374.jpeg
    792.9 KB · Views: 5
She may needs sub-q fluids at the vet, followed by an x-ray to start with. If she is pooping, thats a good sign and even if it was an obstruction, it would mean some things are moving through.

Is there any open mouth breathing or other breathing sounds, nasal discharge, sneezing etc? It could be a respiratory virus, bacteria or fungus. They can treat some of these, but its important to keep her stabilized and build her immune system if that's the case. Some they don't treat, but she can still recover. You may need to give her special care several times a day until she gets strong enough. I hand feed mine a little plain greek yogurt, electrolyte and vitamin mix, pellets soaked in water and mashed, at least 3 times a day in addition to their normal food and water, during times of illness. Also note that if they treat her, with some things they use, she may not be able to re-enter the food chain for eggs, or it may be a time restriction etc.

One thing to always assess is if the crop is actually emptying well. Gently feel the crop at night and see if it is balloon-like. Do not leave food in the cage overnight. Then in the morning feel the crop again to see if it has emptied. Also check for poop in the cage. If the crop has emptied and there is poop, that is a good sign that things are at least moving through to some level. You can also collect the poop and bring it to the vet for parasite analysis. I use oregostim in my flocks to help digestive system and theoretically reduce parasite load.

Take her weight regularly with a digital kitchen scale.

Wishing you the best and hopefully she recovers! She is a beautiful Houdan.

Back
Top Bottom