1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Hen limping badly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SF Chick, Nov 7, 2012.

1. SF Chick

SF Chick In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2009
    San Francisco
    My barred rock, about 26 weeks old, suddenly started limping badly. She can't put weight on the leg. I see no sign of bumblefoot or injury, it doesn't seem broken, no swelling or extra warmth. When I hold her, I notice the bad foot doesn't curl up tightly the way the good one does, and the leg trembles when I hold it gently. I have her isolated in a separate area of the pen (with her best buddy) so she isn't tempted to run around too much. She's eating and drinking.

Any ideas?

2. Angelpoo

Angelpoo Chirping

Oct 26, 2012
    she could have a break... or something like that... i fell and hurt my wrist and couldnt use it for 3 weeks... but never went to the doctor because it never swelled up so i didnt think it was broken... you could try making a splint for her... with time hopefully she will get better

Sincerely,
    BeautifulJade [​IMG]

3. SF Chick

SF Chick In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2009
    San Francisco
    She's still limping, and I don't know if it's the leg or the foot that's hurting her. Any ideas, please?

4. Michaelva

Michaelva Hatching

Jul 11, 2012
    I had one that started limping over the summer and it got progressively worse. I isolated her in a medium size dog crate in my garage...Let her out after about a week and limp was still there...isolated for another two weeks and things were much better. She walks fine now. The only issue I had was that will in the dog crate, she wasn't able to take dust baths and she must have had some lice when I put her in and the lice issue got worse...so had to treat for that as well. But all is well that ends well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by