Hen limping badly

SF Chick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco
My barred rock, about 26 weeks old, suddenly started limping badly. She can't put weight on the leg. I see no sign of bumblefoot or injury, it doesn't seem broken, no swelling or extra warmth. When I hold her, I notice the bad foot doesn't curl up tightly the way the good one does, and the leg trembles when I hold it gently. I have her isolated in a separate area of the pen (with her best buddy) so she isn't tempted to run around too much. She's eating and drinking.

Any ideas?

she could have a break... or something like that... i fell and hurt my wrist and couldnt use it for 3 weeks... but never went to the doctor because it never swelled up so i didnt think it was broken... you could try making a splint for her... with time hopefully she will get better

Sincerely,
BeautifulJade
D.gif

I had one that started limping over the summer and it got progressively worse. I isolated her in a medium size dog crate in my garage...Let her out after about a week and limp was still there...isolated for another two weeks and things were much better. She walks fine now. The only issue I had was that will in the dog crate, she wasn't able to take dust baths and she must have had some lice when I put her in and the lice issue got worse...so had to treat for that as well. But all is well that ends well.

Back
Top Bottom