Hen loosing weight

JackieTS

Chirping
Jul 23, 2020
I have the sweetest hen, Callie. She’s an 18month old Cinnamon Queen. She’s never been the healthiest- she has very crooked feet and has never laid. But for the most part she’s healthy. But the last few months she has been loosing weight despite a very good appetite. She still runs and free ranges with the others but gets tired very easily and takes lots of naps. And her poop is very very watery. No worms that I can see. And I see no worms in any of the other girls either. Has anyone else ever experienced this?
thank you very much for your advice
Jackie

Have you seen or do you see any lice or mites?

Pics of her poop?

What does she eat daily?

Wonder if she has some sort of reproductive cancer/issue going on if she has never laid.

A couple other thoughts.....I would still get a fecal done if possible. Parasites are often not seen in droppings, doesn't mean that they aren't there. Simple way to rule that out as an issue.
Since her droppings are very watery (pictures could help) I would make sure that her crop is emptying normally. I would crate her for a while, make sure she's eating and drinking normally, check crop function, make sure it's filling and emptying. Take food and water away at dark, feel the crop to make sure something's in there-most birds will fill their crop before roosting, first thing in the morning check the crop again and it should be empty. If it's not she may be impacted and nothing is passing except fluids.
Sometimes diseases like Marek's or lymphoid leukosis can cause birds to slowly waste away, as well as cancers.
Does she have any abdominal bloat? Feel between the legs and below the vent, compare with others if you aren't sure.

Back
Top Bottom