Hen losing feathers

albodean

Chirping
Sep 27, 2016
Hi all!

One of my hens has recently started losing a lot of feathers from her breast area and around her tail.

There is no sign of mites in the coop and she has recently stopped being broody.

I have seen that chickens do go through a moult around winter time but as it is just her and we are still in summer in the UK I didn't know if this would be the reason.

Can anyone shed any light on this? She doesn't seem to be in any distress just wondering if she's doing it to herself or they're falling out.

Thanks,

Alex

Look carefully at the spots where the feathers are thinnest. If you see pin feathers, like brush bristles, poking out of the skin, she's molting.

I have two dozen chickens. The first one began molt around the first of August. Since then, a few others have joined her. Each hen molts according to her own time table, programmed into her genes, but generally, the days gradually getting shorter triggers molt in most chickens.

I have one Cream Legbar hen who saved her first molt until June, going all winter with a threadbare set of feathers. She's just completely her molt now, while the rest of the flock are just starting. Just goes to show there's no rules. It's an individual thing.

Most of my chickens are losing their feathers around there necks, I live in the desert and wonder if its because its so hot here????
It may be hot, but the days are still getting shorter. It's likely molt. To be sure, examine the necks closely. If you see new pin feathers emerging, it's molt. If all you see are broken feathers, it's not molt.

Heat shouldn't make feathers fall out.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the lack of any pictures. I'll have a look for new pin feathers later. Am I right in thinking she won't be laying eggs while she's molting?

Thanks again!

Just managed to get some pics of her and I can see new pins when I look closely.

Attachments

• IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    621.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0616.JPG
    IMG_0616.JPG
    596.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    709.9 KB · Views: 11
Many of mine have been starting to molt. They are still laying and will continue to for a bit yet, before quitting and going into a full molt. Consider it a pre-molt.

Back
Top Bottom