1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen lost back Feathers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frogman, Sep 25, 2016.

1. frogman

frogman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    I have one hen who our roo was a little ruff with last summer. She lost all her feathers on her rump. After getting rid of the roo I put a saddle on her but every time I try to take it off she pecks at herself. She is absolutely bare on her rump. Will I ever be able to remove the saddle?? Would bluekoat work to help stop her picking at herself??

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She should be going through a molt soon if she hasn't already started. How is she pecking at herself? External parasites can get out of control under those saddles. And it can interfere with feathers regrowing. I would remove it and let her be, unless she's pecking herself bloody. Her skin probably feels weird when you take it off, which can make them scratch a bit.

3. frogman

frogman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    No parasites - she just turns around and picks when it's red - which picking causes - and she picks more. Thanks!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Post a pic of birds bare back?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by