Hen making strange noises w/ empty crop! ***Help!***

Silkiesandco

Songster
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
Canada eh?
Hello! I have a Silkie hen. Lately she is acting very weird. She makes really loud squaking noises, almost like a part of a roosters crow, she stretches out her neck when she does it. She isnt a dominant hen either. She seems unable to cluck like the rest and its just a soft whisper when she attempts to. Her crop is empty, VERY empty. Not a single amount of food. Yet she is eating and drinking. She is weakish in the legs, or it seems it since they shake and she lies down alot. She seems to be quite tired and dozes off alot which she never did before. She hasnt layed in a while but I know she isnt broody. I looked under her tounge for gapeworms and there were none. She is pooping normally as well. Please help, I dont know whats wrong with her,

Thanks,

Silkiesandco

She may have other worms/parasites. Also, offer her some sugar water and a tasty treat like hard boiled egg yolk with oatmeal or cottage cheese or yogurt. I really like to use that poultry vetrx too. A couple drops in food or water and you can rub it into comb/wattles. Best wishes!

You could look in her throat for gapeworms. Otherwise I'm wondering if she's got a sour crop or bacteria in the crop. Maybe a blockage down farther. Someone here had something up about a fungal infection today with the gurgling (an old thread by speckledhen) and associated with warm weather. You might want to start there.

If it's sour crop, generally the breath smells bad. I've heard you can empty the crop a bit and put them on a liquid diet for a day or two. You can tip the hen forward and massage the crop and see if a bunch of liquid comes out. Only do this once or twice for a couple seconds only so she doesn't aspirate. Don't put her on regular feed for a little bit because you'll make the problem worse.

Edit: Oops, I guess you checked for gapes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom