Hen nose bleeding, Why!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Featherland26, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Featherland26

Featherland26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    England
    I triede reserching on the website about chickens nose bleeding, but I didnt have any luck. I was letting the chickens out and I saw thick blood on the floor, I imeadiatly went outside and visually inspected all the chickens. I saw one chicken who is a sussex star, she is 4 years old (which i old for a hybrid hen) and I dont think she is laying. She had blood coming out of one nostril however she seems healthy, her eyes are fine and her poop is fine. None of the other hens have any trace of blood on them.Why did this happen, what could have caused it?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  2. myladybirds

myladybirds New Egg

May 26, 2013
    Texas!
    I need an answer too please. Same thing with my big beautiful RR chicken. She is not laying either.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Blood from nose could be from a hard peck or she may have bumped her beak(think nose bleed in humans). Does her beak look ok,no damage or cuts,tip broken off? If the bleeding has stopped,and she is eating/drinking,walking and otherwise appears fine,then i would not worry,keep an eye on her for any changes. As for laying,she could be finished with her laying days,or the heat may something to do with it.Does she have enough calcium in her diet?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Two things come to mind with blood coming from the nose: Infectious Laryngeotracheitis (ILT) and ingestion of rat poison. Here is a link to ILT: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by