Hen not behaving like herself

marika_ouellet

In the Brooder
May 6, 2022
1) What type of bird , age and weight - Ameraucana, born sometimes in March, not laying yet
2) What is the behavior, exactly - Calmer than usual, doesn't go up to roost at night (can't seem to be able to jump), not stading as straight and tall as usual, her face is all wet from the water she drinks (has never happened before) and she's missing some feathers on her back (we noticed yesterday morning).
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 1 and a half day
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No signs on the other birds
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma - Missing feathers on her back but not bleeding
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - We haven't seen anything
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - She is drinking a lot and has been eating (gave her a scrambled egg with raw garlic and some oatmeal that she partly ate
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc - The only poop I saw her make was very runny, like tinted water
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - Vitamin E in her beak and nutri drench in her water
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - I want to do it myself
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - There is crushed rocks in the coop and dirt outside. Right now, she's in a box inside with straw.
316843522_401496135450636_6881076059587972406_n.jpg
316627354_834991744494537_4469174445198737332_n.jpg
316507586_1876827599324697_313760116345217746_n.jpg

Are the rocks small enough for grit? How does her crop feel this morning? Is it empty, full, puffy, or firm? Is she adjusting her crop or neck? Does she seem low in the pecking order? Is she getting a chance to eat or are others keeping her from food? She looks like she is being feather picked by others. Do you feed layer feed or all flock feed? Oats are not a complete feed, and they do better on a balanced chicken feed. You can wet some of it in a bowl and they like that. Let us know if her crop is emptying overnight. Has she been laying eggs?

Are the rocks small enough for grit? How does her crop feel this morning? Is it empty, full, puffy, or firm? Is she adjusting her crop or neck? Does she seem low in the pecking order? Is she getting a chance to eat or are others keeping her from food? She looks like she is being feather picked by others. Do you feed layer feed or all flock feed? Oats are not a complete feed, and they do better on a balanced chicken feed. You can wet some of it in a bowl and they like that. Let us know if her crop is emptying overnight. Has she been laying eggs?
Yes the rocks are small enough for grit.
Her crop feels normal (we had a hen with a blocked crop a few weeks ago so I have a reference. She is definitely not at the top but I don't think she's completely at the bottom of the pecking order. She can definitely eat and drink as she wants. They eat organic layer feed.
I know oat are not complete for her, I just gave her that this morning since she was in the house.

She has never laid an egg yet! None of my hens from the spring are laying actually (I have 4 other Ameraucanas and 1 Orpington).

She just feels "slow".

Back
Top Bottom