Hen not eating since Suprelorin implant

Vitamins B are all water soluble, therefore they do not accumulate in the fat tissue of the body as some others do. You cannot overdose as the excess is excreted by the kidneys. On the flip side, you need to dose every day and not skip doses and not decrease doses in order for the B-complex to be of benefit.

That said, my practice is to use the entire B tablet, no matter the strength, and pop the tablet directly into the beak of the patient. The advantage of direct dosing over dissolving in food or water is that many chickens object to the taste and they don't get the full advantage of the vitamin. After improvement is achieved, you may discontinue the vitamin.

@azygous @Wyorp Rock Do you guys know the vitamin b complex dose in case eggcessive is away?
Everyone will likely recommend a little different as you can see from the post @azygous just made.
I have not read the whole thread, so will focus more on your question, I did look at the OP's first line or 2 and see it's a 5yr old BSL. That age, personally I would give 1/2 tablet human B-Complex or if using the liquid one for cattle, then 1ml a day.

It is easy to break a tablet in half and either give it crushed onto food or orally. It doesn’t seem to affect the taste of food. Some dissolve a tablet into the water, but it does settle out, and they would not get enough of the dose to help. Chopped beef liver and nutritional yeast are other food sources.

I should have mentioned that the last time I took this hen to the vet, the vet said that I shouldn't feed her any dairy. The hen had diarrhoea that was entirely water today, so starting tomorrow, I won't be giving her any more Kefir or buttermilk. I will give her some Pedialyte tomorrow.
She has been eating each morning and on some evenings for at least a week now. I think that she still needs the baby food. Her weight has dropped to ~1750g.

@CCUK Did your hen make it?

I should have mentioned that the last time I took this hen to the vet, the vet said that I shouldn't feed her any dairy. The hen had diarrhoea that was entirely water today, so starting tomorrow, I won't be giving her any more Kefir or buttermilk. I will give her some Pedialyte tomorrow.
She has been eating each morning and on some evenings for at least a week now. I think that she still needs the baby food. Her weight has dropped to ~1750g.

@CCUK Did your hen make it?
Hi. Sadly I had to have loona put to sleep. She made no improvement. She was eating and drinking but couldn't stand or walk. It was a hard decision. But she isn't suffering now. She is with her sisters. I do hope your hen does make a full recovery but also, should the time come, you have to make the right choice for her.

Hi. Sadly I had to have loona put to sleep. She made no improvement. She was eating and drinking but couldn't stand or walk. It was a hard decision. But she isn't suffering now. She is with her sisters. I do hope your hen does make a full recovery but also, should the time come, you have to make the right choice for her.
I'm sorry for your loss. It must be especially hard to accept a hen's passing when it is killed by a condition that is usually easy to cure.
Thank you for your kind words.

Unfortunately, this hen will soon need to be euthanised. She has stopped eating in the evenings and has continued to lose weight. Today, I took her to see the vet. The vet performed a thorough investigation on this hen, and the vet's diagnosis was that the hen has adhesions in her coelom that may have been caused by an old case of peritonitis. At this stage, I am uncertain of when she will need to be euthanised. She is still eating in the morning and can still walk, run, and fly to her roost. I will probably have to continue giving her baby food until it becomes obvious that keeping her alive would not be humane.

Back
Top Bottom