Hen not eating....

birdgirl408

Songster
8 Years
Dec 23, 2014
My free range Buff Orpington went broody for about 4 days which I eventually broke her from, so she hasn't laid for 7 days. She has lost weight, 1/2 kilo in 12 days. She is not eating well at all although I have been able to tempt her with meal worms and sweet-corn, but she doesn't eat much. She looks fine in every other way and pecks about with her companion. Any ideas anyone? Would be grateful for some advice. Thank you.

I really don't know for sure, but I have a Buff Orpington who goes broody 2x year for several weeks. I have never been able to break her from it, so I just go and remove her from nest several times a day. She always loses weight and doesn't lay any eggs. It seems to take her a while to get back to normal. She's 5 years old now and has been doing this since she was about 8 months old. If she seems fine in every other way, I wouldn't worry too much....just keep an eye on her.

Make sure to put some extra poultry safe electrolytes in her water or add apple cider vinegar with 'the mother' in it. Apple cider vinegar works as a great remedy for stress, weight loss, worming, heat stress remedy.....................................basically anything that ails your flock!

Thank you linbee and heavenshens. I do use ACV all the time in their water, but since Bea hasn't been eating I have put a 'nutritional supplement' in the water. She really does seem ok so I was well pleased with your reply in particular linbee. One less thing to worry about,

Is her crop working fine?give yoghurt in spoon dip her beak in yoghurt spoon hope she ate

Thank you all, she is fine now, just not laying which is normal after being broody I am told.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom