Hen not laying, acts normal, tail up, but i feel a bulge below vent

Sole123

Hatching
Sep 4, 2019
I have a 1.5 year old speckled sussex that stopped laying about 2.5 weeks ago. She acts completely normal, very active, very chatty, eats very well, but no eggs.

I feel a firmish bulge below the vent that is larger than the other hens. You can't really see anything amiss as she has feathers covering the area, but definitely there if you feel her. She doesn't stand wide legged like internal layers. I have tried a warm epsom salt bath, and i have "checked" for a stuck egg and felt nothing in there.

I isolated her a few days, no eggs but poops were normal and she was not pleased at being separated.

She's back with the others, but i am concerned. She's high up in the pecking order.

Any ideas?

She may be starting to molt and has stopped laying, since she is at the right age for a first big molt. I have had a few hens who developed bulges under the vent, and they may act perfectly fine for a few years. Some get bigger, and that can be a sign of internal laying, cancer, or ascites. Most of the time, I have found the cause when a necropsy was done. As long as she is acting normally and eating okay, I would not do anything.

She may be starting to molt and has stopped laying, since she is at the right age for a first big molt. I have had a few hens who developed bulges under the vent, and they may act perfectly fine for a few years. Some get bigger, and that can be a sign of internal laying, cancer, or ascites. Most of the time, I have found the cause when a necropsy was done. As long as she is acting normally and eating okay, I would not do anything.

she's definitely not molting right now, but i suppose it's possible the process is starting. All the other ones the same age are still laying. Ok i will keep an eye on her. I am not posting a photo because there is nothing to see. Thanks so much for the reply!

If you have chickens for a long time, you will see different problems, especially reproductive problems, and perhaps, a crop problem. Usually if something is wrong, they will act ill, separate themselves or not come off the roost in the morning, not run for the usual treats, or lie around. She sounds like she is doing okay for now. Chickens will take a break from laying now and then. You may just want to keep an eye on the bulge below her vent.

If you have chickens for a long time, you will see different problems, especially reproductive problems, and perhaps, a crop problem. Usually if something is wrong, they will act ill, separate themselves or not come off the roost in the morning, not run for the usual treats, or lie around. She sounds like she is doing okay for now. Chickens will take a break from laying now and then. You may just want to keep an eye on the bulge below her vent.

thanks very much. yes, she's definitely not behaving like she's ill in any way. Fingers crossed.

Have you checked the space between the pointy pelvic bones? If the space has narrowed, that is a sure sign that molting is imminent and the autumn/early winter egg break is on.
Often the comb will lighten and shrivel somewhat.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

I just checked. She's perhaps a touch narrower than the others, but not significantly. The comb/wattles are def still bright red. The bulge below the vent is smaller than a tennis ball, but quite firm, more defined than on the others.

Back
Top Bottom